Chapter Forty-Three

The night is a second covering against my skin. Like Ratu's veils. Like Elio's tattoos. Like Ryu's brands. Like my father's scars. They're all a part of me.

Just like the night is a part of Kane.

The three ghouls and I turn into an alleyway located beside a brothel. Women in thin scarves and men with glassy eyes turn to me, laughing, perhaps thinking me a drug-induced nightmare. One man comes nearer me, swiping drunkenly, and I slap him away. My hand hits his jaw so hard he screams, falling and clutching his face on the ground. All the other vandals stumble away from me, palms upwards, pleading for mercy.

Of course, those idiot cousins ran to the brothel first. Wouldn't have a brain between them to run from Rahasia. Wouldn't be afraid of me.

They'll learn.

I point to the heavens, showing my bloodied hand. "Is this what you wanted, my god?" I ask, whispering the last part as an oath beneath my breath. My ghouls moan in hunger, in perpetual agony. "Now I'm a freak like you."

One of my ghouls stops moving, and the other two turn to stare confusedly at it. It convulses on the earth, frothing blood at its lips. I bend down, cupping its clammy cheek in my uninjured palm. The magic flows from my mirror incorrectly. The violet light's gone completely dark. And the ghoul continues to convulse, wailing in horror. The people in the brothel clap their hands over their ears to block out the horrid sound.

The injured ghoul's head swivels around to face me, its voice crackling with the empty space of time, of ancient history buried in tombs long-forgotten. "I am not weak, Cursed One."

I stumble back from the creature. The men and women in the alley retreat into the brothel, screaming. But then, everything stops.

Even I freeze, unable to move as my own ghoul rises to stand above me. Its skin shifts from pale unnatural flesh to the color of rich obsidian. Pointed ears spring from a head of wolfish silver hair, eyes covered by a black band, the scars peeking out from the nightscape cloth. Robes like moonlight, a shadow towering at five hands over my own head.

My eyes move desperately over the figure, but I'm rendered immobile by his power.

Kane.

***

Champions,

Hope you're all having an amazing week.

Sophia