Chapter Seven ☆

The front door creaked open, and Eliza stepped into her house, her backpack slipping from her shoulder to the floor with a soft thud. Her heart seemed to skip a beat as her eyes fell upon the scene before her—Dawn, nestled on the couch with a guy perched on top of her. Flustered, Eliza instinctively shut the door behind her and hurried toward the refuge of the kitchen.

"Who was that?" The guy's voice was hushed, the urgency clear.

Dawn, her cheeks flushed, extricated herself from the couch and hastily ran her fingers through her hair. With a sense of urgency, she followed Eliza into the kitchen, where Eliza pretended to be engrossed in inspecting the contents of the fridge. She was hoping to sidestep the impending awkwardness that was rapidly approaching.

"Eliza! You're back sooner than expected," Dawn's voice carried a tinge of mortification as she covered her mouth.

"My teacher let us out early due to the storm," Eliza muttered, her face partially hidden by the open freezer door.

Spying what she was after, she retrieved the carton of ice cream and placed it on the table. From the corner of her eye, she noticed a shirtless guy in black basketball shorts ascending the staircase, his gaze briefly flitting between Dawn and herself. Dawn, clad in an oversized grey sweater that likely belonged to her companion, attempted to conceal her discomfort behind a forced grin.

"Looks like someone's having quite the time," Eliza remarked, her tone laced with a hint of playful sarcasm.

Dawn's hand swiftly scooped up a discarded shirt from the floor before she sauntered into the living room, the fabric dangling from her grip. "He's just a friend," she declared, her tone casual but carrying a hint of defensiveness.

"With benefits," Eliza couldn't resist interjecting, her words accompanied by an arch of her eyebrow.

Dawn's response was to rush upstairs, her room's door clicking shut in her wake. Amused, Eliza let out a soft chuckle as she observed the scene. From a window, Jared nimbly leapt onto the table, his feline gaze locked onto her, particularly on the cookie she was munching.

 In a swift motion, he dashed to her side, his teeth clamping onto the treat still in her hand. A bemused shake of her head was her only reaction, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. Who would have thought she'd be going to a rave?

Gently scooping Jared into her arms, Eliza twirled him around the room in an impromptu dance. Amidst their playful movements, she held up one of Jared's paws as if they were sharing a secret.

"Alright, this—" Jared began, cutting her off with her antics. "Eliza... This is... Inapropi—" his words were disrupted and speech disjointed by the motion.

Eliza's hair flowed like a silken waterfall over her shoulder as she flicked it with an air of nonchalance. Jared's protests were momentarily silenced as she playfully tossed him onto her bed, the rebound sending him momentarily airborne. 

Swiftly, Jared dug his claws into the sheets, his fur bristling with a hint of anxiety. He released an exasperated sigh. "Good lord."

Her gaze lingered on her reflection in the mirror, the sight igniting her dance once more. A flutter of disbelief and excitement coursed through her veins as she contemplated the night ahead. 

She reveled in the thought that, even if it wasn't an explicit date, someone beyond Dawn wanted to spend time with her. The flutter of butterflies took residence in her stomach, a reminder that tonight held the promise of something new and unexpected.

The door to the room emitted a soft creak, and Eliza's attention shifted from her phone to the doorway. Dawn stood there, arms crossed and a mischievous glint dancing in her eyes. A slight grin played upon her lips as she observed her friend.