Chapter Twenty - Settling in?

The cooling feeling of dark mahogany against my rough, work withered hands caused a calming tone to rush through my body- finally allowing me to come to my senses now that I wasn't surrounded with people throwing their forceful opinions at me and trying to change me into what they think I should be like. But of course, another figure to throw their thoughts upon me- Fairy Godmother.

"Come on Sis, she isn't the sort of person that you want to keep waiting. What a first impression that would be" Mal snapped, swiftly bouncing down the navy carpeted steps.

"What is she gonna do? Bippity Boppity Boo me to Hell?" I cackled as I pushed up onto my tiptoes and peered over the banister, looking at the floor below.
"No, but I can put you in a tedious detention" The sickly-sweet voice rung out causing Mal to roll her eyes at me in annoyance, grab my hand and pull me down the last few stairs.
"I'm trembling in fear" I muttered, kicking at the floor and showing how I really didn't want to be here nor did I care.

My sister's boney elbow gave me a sharp prod in the side forcing me to glance up at her and shoot her a dirty look. Fairy Godmother interrupted our spiteful exchange with a breathy chuckle
"Siblings, am I right?" She amused before placing her palm on my upper arm, taking a step forwards and showing a warm, glowing smile upon her face.

Footsteps were approaching from behind us causing me to abruptly jump back from her grasp and see who it was.
"Ben!" Mal beamed as her royal pet reached his arm out and they interlocked hands.
"Awe, look its ickle benny boo, your one and only" I mocked, placing a hand against my cheek and pretending to daydream. She let out an agitated huff and turned back to the headmistress.

"Melanie, we are willing to allow your stay here in Auradon-"
"Oh, how noble of you" I groaned, rolling my eyes and placing my hands on my hips. Firstly, everyone thinks that I'm begging to stay here in the royal city, even my own sister is forcing me to be somewhere that I'd don't want to be but this school is so blind that they expect everyone to be in the same shoes as others before us.

"Your timetable won't be identical to your sister's due to her rapidly changing royal duties but instead you will be with Evie" Fairy Godmother explained, handing me a sheet of paper with my timetable on one side and the royal crest on the other.
"Is it okay if I steal Mal for a few moments? I'm sure Evie will be more than thrilled to show you around the place and get you settled in" Ben concluded my 'welcoming speech' with an obligated glance in my direction, which I responded by looking down at my schedule
"Sure, take her, see if I care" I murmured, too busy concentrating- I wasn't the best at literacy, sure I could read and write simple words due to my practice with my Mom's spellbook but that's mainly all down to memory.

My sister and her prince took off in the opposite direction of the stairwell, leaving me the chance to finally have some alone time. I quickly stuffed the paper in my jacket pocket and ambled towards the back gardens that Mal had first brought me to.
Jumping off the concrete step onto the healthy emerald grass, I allowed myself to soak in the sun before walking past where the lockers stood. I never dreamed that I would be in the position that I am currently in; stuck in Auradon whilst my boyfriend and best friend is back on the isle, going to classes and learning to become like royalty? What's my crew going to think?

Ahead of me, the hedges began to form a clear opening to another part of the garden- more secluded and to the right was a beautiful shining lake, it was as smooth as glass. Decreasing the distance between myself and gorgeous feature, I lowered my body to the ground so that I could grasp a sleek, polished pebble. A soft giggle escaped my lips as I tossed the stone forwards- a child's game.

As the pebbles skipped across the still water, the radiating ripples caught the sunlight. After three skips the stone sank, then once again the lake looked like glass and you could imagine walking right out onto it or skidding across the surface in your socks.

I let my body drop to the ground beside the shining water, just far enough around the corner that I was out of view unless you passed the hedges. Knowing that in the near future as classes begin once more, I'm not very likely to get much time to myself- being the sister to the new king's boyfriend and the new kid from the isle. But right now I just wanted to be alone, sort out what I want to do, I need to get back to the isle where my real family are; but how? It's as hard to get onto the isle as it is getting off it.

But I'm finally in a world without danger, nothing to harm me or cut me down, the walls I have placed up blocking me from the outside- making me numb to the world seem to be no longer needed. I've been given the chance to live out the rest of my life as a normal child, no fighting for survival, no poverty or starvation to be seen; so why do I feel so out of place? Why do I want to be taken back? In reality Harry and I had only been dating a couple of days and I'm sure he can get over it, he's never really been the one to feel real emotions, he's THE Harry Hook and he knows that anyone would feel honoured to even be at arm's length with that grace from God.

They say that missing someone gets easier every day because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will- but am I ever to see him again? Maybe the best thing to do is just forget and move on? The only thing is...

Am I ever going to forget him?