CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - Aconite Injection

"That's not how it happened!" protested Timber loudly.

The whole class was at a standstill and watching the exchange with bated breath. It was five weeks into the school year and Mr. Frank was attempting to teach the class about the Constitution and Timber was arguing with him with an unusually aggressive tone.

"What authority do you have to correct me?" said Mr. Frank hotly. He was a patient man, but Timber would not back down and his face was turning red.

"The fact that I'm right! The Founders had opposition to the Constitution. They were called the Anti-Federalists."

"Why would anyone who wanted freedom oppose it?"

"Because they didn't think it would work. They thought the new government would collapse without a monarchy if it got too big because that's what happened to the Roman Empire."

"Where is your proof of this?" demanded Mr. Frank.

Timber pulled out the book she had gotten from the city library and slammed it on the desk forcefully.

"These are the Federalist Papers, written by Hamilton, Jay, and Madison while they were trying to get people to vote in favor of the new Constitution. The second half of this book was written by the anti-Federalists in opposition."

Mr. Frank turned beet red with humiliation and fell silent. He stared at Timber and Timber put her book away, satisfied that she had won the argument. It took a few minutes to calm the class down once it was made clear that Timber had outsmarted Mr. Frank. No one could believe that a student knew more history than the teacher.

"I like having all the answers," Timber explained to Sean with frustration. "I'm not smarter than Mr. Frank. I just read more history books."

Thankfully, the end-of-day dismissal bell rang and Timber gathered her things and put them in her bag, and headed to the front of the school to see her friends onto their buses before going home. When she got home, Emily was inside at the table doing her homework packet. Grace was helping her with her math.

"Hello, Timber," said Grace with a tone that let her know she was in trouble. "Mr. Frank called me. I got off the phone with him five minutes ago. No, Emily, Dear, that's a three. He says you were disruptive and argumentative. I heard his side. I want to hear yours before I determine how much trouble you're in. I know that you are usually not one to openly challenge the authority of someone who is high in your chain of command but you still need to be reprimanded."

"Mr. Frank was saying there was no opposition to the Constitution. I asked about the anti-Federalists. He had no idea who I was talking about so I informed him. He got embarrassed and challenged me. I argued my point. I could have been quieter and more polite about it but he wasn't listening. I showed him my book and he stopped challenging me."

"Well, it more than half lines up with what Mr. Frank said. I also know you well enough to know that you didn't start it. You'll be revoked of TV privileges today. Go upstairs and take a half-hour nap before you start your homework," said Grace with a lighter tone. "You look pale."

Timber nodded and dropped her bag at the foot of the stairs and headed up. All she really wanted to do was sleep. She got halfway up when she yipped and Turned. Reacting instinctively, Grace hurried to her so fast, her chair fell. Timber had curled into a ball and would not loosen up. She was whining and growling with pain but as soon as it came, it left. Grace stood over her with a look of concern. Timber Turned back and got to her feet but could not straighten her spine because of the pain.

"Lord help me," muttered Timber in a panic when she realized there was warm liquid between her legs. "I'm dying!"

To Timber's great surprise, Grace smiled, and said, "You're not dyin'. Where does it hurt?" Timber put her hand on her lower abdomen. "Come on, Honey. I promise you're not dyin'. You've had your Menarche. I'll explain in my bathroom. Keep doin' your homework, Emily. I'll check it when I've finished helpin' Timber."