Sirius Black x Female Reader (College AU)

Requested by: Sams_Antlers

(Not-so-short and sweet)

The cafeteria is filled.

Tall guys with black hair. Boys with kind blue eyes. Girls with hair that bounces as they run between tables. Heels clicking against the tile ground. Hollow echoes against the walls. The room suddenly feels much smaller. With each sound that bounces back, the walls shrink closer.

You wait in line, looking down. The tiles are almost beige. You rub away at them with your shoe to find that underneath it they were once white. You swallow deeply and look away, trying to find another distraction.

There's a guy with purple shoes and green laces. You raise an eyebrow, feeling almost impressed. 

"Whatcha lookin' at?"

You turn towards the sound. Sirius smiles brightly at you. His smile so wide you can see the piece of gum he's chewing as it slaps against his mouth. It's green like those laces. 

At the reminder you turn back to catch another glance at the person wearing those shoes. They're already gone. 

"Seriously what's so interesting?" His gum slaps with every syllable and you cringe.

"Just saw some weird shoes or something, don't worry 'bout it."

Sirius shrugs. "What're you gonna get?"

"Just the usual." You can see his eyebrow raise and you quickly add, "Shut up, it's my favorite."

"You order that every day!" He whines.

"Oh shush, you're not the one who has to eat it you don't get to complain."

"That's never stopped him." You turn to see Remus has appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

"There is no way you actually heard what we were talking about while still being conveniently far away enough to not be seen," Sirius says. He mumbles something about movie tropes.

You ignore him and smile gratefully at Remus. "I don't care how you did, I'm just glad you're here."

"I couldn't leave you to deal with Sirius all on your own now could I?" He winks at you.

Before you can get a word in edgewise Sirius speaks, "That better not be flirting I see," He casts a scolding look at Remus. You'd almost think he was angry if you weren't already used to his antics. 

Remus shakes his head at Sirius, leaning closer to you for a second. "We'll continue this later," This time he winks for extra long, making sure to catch Sirius's eye in the meantime. It doesn't take a lot of work, Sirius is already looking. 

Remus steps away smoothly, walking forward to order food. 

Sirius sighs. "Must he always do this to us?" He wraps an arm around you and together you step forward. 

"I thought you'd be used to it by now," You say quickly to him before returning your attention to food. You order while keeping your ear open to Sirius. 

He doesn't respond and instead orders for himself. You walk forward to the cashier, reaching into your back pocket for your wallet. You're about to pull out your cash when Sirius steps in. He reaches past you and hands a plastic card to the cashier. The cashier smiles knowingly. 

You groan. You almost got there this time. Usually he stops you before you even reach the cashier. 

"What?" Sirius says with mock naivety. "I thought you'd be used to it by now." He imitates your voice, rather poorly in your opinion.