17|| Piper

Piper snapped to attention at Harry's words. The spells, finally.

"Right," Harry continued. "I was thinking, the first thing we should do is Expelliarmus, you know, the disarming charm. I know it's pretty basic but I've found it really useful —"

"Oh, please," snorted Zachariah. "I don't think Expelliarmus is going to help us against You-Know-Who."

"I've used it against him," said Harry quietly. "It saved my life last June."

Zacharias opened his mouth then closed it, rather like a fish.

"But if you think it's beneath you, you can leave," Harry continued harshly. Zacharias didn't move, nor did anyone else.

"Okay," Harry continued. "Let's divide into pairs and practice."

Piper turned instinctively to Jason, but Jason was already facing Thalia. Nico, who usually partnered with Thalia, was with Will. She turned to Leo and they both shrugged before facing each other.

"Πέτα τη ράβδο!" Shouted Leo suddenly, and Piper's wand was wrenched from her hand and clattered on the floor.

"Leo!" Piper bent down and snatched it up. "That's not how this works! You can't just yell 'drop the wand' In Greek!"

Surprisingly, no one else noticed Leo's strange choice in words as the room was filled with echoes of "Expelliarmus".

Percy flicked his wand forward expertly. "Expelliarmus!" he yelled, and the scarlet jet of light shot from his wand directly at Annabeth. She sidestepped and the spell hit her knife, but proceeded to rip it from her hand and send it flying across the room.

"Heads up!" Annabeth screamed at the flash of gold arching upwards above everyone's heads. It hit the ceiling and stuck there, glinting dangerously.

Everyone stopped to momentarily stare very confusedly at the gold shining on the domed ceiling.

"Why've you got a Tamzagiblet in your pocket?" Luna asked curiously.

"That's not a Tamzagiblet," a very alarmed Terry Boot said. "That's a knife. Why've you got a knife?"

"Accio," Annabeth muttered, pointing at the ceiling, and it sailed back down towards her. She looked pointedly at Thalia, who raised her hand to eye level and snapped her fingers. Everyone hazily went back to shouting spells, except for Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Fred, George, and the Half Bloods.

"What?" Thalia and Annabeth asked innocently. Harry shook his head in exasperation before continuing to walk around the room.

"Put away the knife," Percy chastsized. "You're scaring the children."

Annabeth put away the knife. "Expelliarmus!" she cried, and Percy's own wand flew from his hand. Annabeth caught it expertly.

Harry blew a massive scarlet whistle which had appeared out of nowhere and everyone fell silent once more.

"Great job, everyone," he said encouragingly. "But we're out of time for today. Same place, same time, next week?"

"Sooner!" Dean Thomas called, and several people nodded in agreement.

But Angelina interrupted. "Quidditch season's about to start, we need practices too!"

"Let's say next Wednesday night, then," said Harry. "And we can decide on future meetings then. Come on, we'd better get going."

Slowly, they dispersed in pairs as Harry watched them on the Maurader's Map return safely.

"That was fun," said Thalia oddly cheerfully.

"You almost Expelliarmus-ed my eye," Jason said, frowning.

"Yes, well, it's entertaining, innit?"

"Seeing a disembodied eyeball fly across the room? You have an interesting sense of humor."

>>>•O•<<<

The next afternoon, Piper stood in the middle of the Quidditch pitch, surveying the Slytherins trying out for the team. Draco Malfoy was back — evidently Piper being the captain didn't deter him from his love of Quidditch. Amelia Knight, the third year Piper tutored, was there as well, drawn from her equal love of the sport as well as Piper's encouragement. A lot of other new, nervous looking third and fourth years were present, along with a few fifth and sixth years. Only a few of the original Slytherin team was there — Thomas, the Chaser who replaced Flint, Gordon, the Keeper, and obviously Draco. Surprisingly, Crabbe and Goyle were there for a place as the beaters, even though the most coordinated thing either of them had ever done was fall asleep.

"Okay people," Piper said in a carrying voice as she clasped her hands behind her back. "You're all obviously here for Slytherin Quidditch tryouts. If you're not, you might accidentally make the team, and I don't think you or your classmates would want that." she paused to make sure no one was there on accident before continuing. "The entire slate is wiped clean, and just because you were on the team last year doesn't mean you'll be again this year."

She made eye contact with Thomas, Gordon, and Draco for a moment.

"I'm Chaser so there are two spots left. We'll start with chasers and keeper first, so if you want to be a chaser or a keeper, step up."

Two third years, two fourth years, a sixth year, and Thomas readied their brooms, walking up. Piper mentally noted down their names — Bella Clark, a third year, Henry Raste, a fourth year, Thomas, and Chris Briars, the sixth year, for chaser. Harker Wattson, a third year, and Cassidy Yuen, a fourth year, for Keeper.

"Let's see what you've got," said Piper, readying the Quaffle.

They played out a quick round of two on two, with Thomas, Henry, and Harker on one team against Chris, Bella, and Cassidy. Piper observed from the air, mentally jotting down some notes. Chris could target where he wanted the Quaffle to go when he threw, but he was slow. Bella was fast, but she couldn't aim. Thomas was talented, but he was reckless and overconfident. Henry was excellent at intercepting the ball mid-throw, but he always let it slip.

Cassidy was fast and energetic, zipping across the three goalposts at lightning speed, but she never paid attention to the ball. Harker was good at covering all three hoops, but he wasn't too good at... staying on his broom.

"Aaaaah!" He shrieked as he went plummeting to the ground after leaning too far to catch the Quaffle.

Piper quickly ended the match and sent Harker to the infirmary.

Next were the beaters and seekers. Unsurprisingly, Draco went up for seeker, and there were no other challengers. Piper had to admit, replacing Draco would be a huge mistake.

Surprisingly to all, Amelia went up to be a beater. Piper bit her lip in worry, looking at the other beaters. Crabbe, Goyle, and a large, pimply looking sixth year named Ulysses.

But unlike the boys, she was fast and coordinated.

"Okay, time for a practice round," Piper announced after they finished hitting the bludgers at different targets. "Remember, these teams mean nothing, I just want to see how you play in a game situation."

She divided them into two teams and they started a game that ended exceptionally fast when Crabbe and Goyle took to targeting the bludgers at Ulysses. It hit his broom and snapped it, sending Ulysses falling to the ground, who landed on Thomas and took him down as well.

"Stop! Stop! Stop!" Piper shouted, rubbing her temples. "Alright, I'll post the teams on the board tomorrow."

She sighed as they dispersed, wondering how she was ever chosen for captain.