Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: On the Helicarrier

"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself- and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to- letting a person be what he really is." -Jim Morrison

-

"This is unbelievable, oh my goodness," Alex has a huge grin as he pulls his suitcase into my house, "I'm so excited I can't believe you thought of me and asked if I could stay with you."

 "You think I would survive alone in the malicious ring of S.H.I.E.L.D. facing Tony?" I force out a dry chuckle, "I need some type reinforcer on my side up there."

 "It's not only a new environment or job for you, you're having to adapt to a new parent with a bit of bad blood," Alex adds on as we enter my room.

 "As cheesy as it may sound, I just need someone, in particularly you, with me through this," I attempt to think of a sarcastic joke to tack on to the end of that to lighten the mood; however, Alex begins talking before I can think of one. 

 "Well, I am honored to stick by your side through this new adventure," Alex responds earnestly, "Besides, who could ever feel safe on a ship with Captain America on board with them?"

 I laugh and nod, agreeing with my friend. I most definitely would feel more comfortable with Alex with me. I trust him with my life, he keeps me grounded. I'm not too worried about leaving my grandparents. Same with my mother; who I was lucky to see once every other month.

 "You're not done packing?" Alex asks as I shove my makeup into a bag.

 "Nope, my mom gave me like an hour and a half lecture about somewhat living on my own," I suck in a pained breath.

 "Ooh, mine only lasted almost an hour," Alex sits on my bed.

 "Lucky," I gripe as I toss my bag into my suitcase.

 I continue packing miscellaneous things for I have already packed my clothes. I pack my pillow along with my favorite blanket. It takes a bit of squeezing and sitting on the bag to zip it. Eventually I end up standing on the luggage as Alex yanks the zipper around the flap. After jumping down from the bag, I slip my laptop into its case as I finish packing. I hear rockets outside before I my mom shouts, "Monica, it's time to go!"

 Alex is a gentleman and carries my duffel bag downstairs as I carry my suitcase. Tony stands in his full suit we come down the stairs. I meet my entire family gathered in the open dining room by the living room. My grandparents stand together with my grandpa's arm wrapped tightly around my grandma. Tony stands in full armor with only his face mask open despite being in my home. My mom leaves Tony's side when Alex and I come down the stairs.

 "Monica," My mom throws her arms around me, "Please stay safe."

 "I will; it's just training," She hugs me tighter.

 "I'm just going to miss you!" Mom's voice breaks.

 "I'm only going to be gone three weeks! You've gone much longer without seeing me."

 "But then you'll be getting called in for missions and then you'll be in danger!"

 "I'll be fine," I pull away before being swept away in goodbyes from my grandparents.

 "You better take care of her. You'll be the first person I blame if anything happens to her," My mom pushes a finger against Tony's chest.

 "Mon, we're happy for you," My grandma embraces me, disabling me from hearing Tony's response.