~Chapter 16~

AN: Hello, beautiful people!

I bet you did not expect to see me updating so quickly, I hope this came as a pleasant surprise? This was initially supposed to go with the previous one, hence the quickness. For the next one, I'll have to give my muse much much more time. Writer's block is real >.>

Leave some love if you like,

Fearsome Hamster

He was burning from within.

Zachary tossed and turned on the wet sheets, his powerful body glistening with sweat. He hissed again, another torturous heat sweeping over him. The frigid breeze coming from wide opened windows did nothing to soothe his aching muscles. The long fluttering pale curtains brushing his skin only reminded him of the butterfly touch of the one he could not have.

It was becoming harder and harder to ignore the mating call.

A fire had been lit inside of him that fateful day in the graveyard. The moment his lips touched Margo's drop of blood, his soul recognised her as his. Even the dark magic keeping him prisoner under the earth had snapped in the face of his will to save her. For his kind, finding one's mate was momentous, a prayer every vampire male kept in their cold hearts. For him, it was a religion in itself to protect her.

That was the reason why he was now enduring the mating heat alone. His broad back arched off the mattress while his arms grabbed the sturdy headboard. But, by the gods, how he wanted Margo by his side in this time of need. His fangs snapped in anticipation for something that was would not come. His claws easily crushed the wooden frame of the bed, the oak pieces splintering like his patience.

A dark corner of his mind whispered insidiously that she deserved to burn the way he did as well. Feel the intensity of the mating need and ache for him. He would gladly accept her siren's call. Lick every inch of her delectable flesh, tease her like she unknowingly did him, cruelly make her shudder with unfulfilled pleasure and only when she was ready, entangle their bodies as one. How he longed to see her desperate for him, even for his body only, for he dared not hope more.

His body followed his thoughts, hardening.

In agony, Zachary jumped off the bed and crossed the hallway to her chamber. Foolishly, he told himself one glance would be enough to carry him through the dark hours. He had already done this once tonight when he had replaced his ring back on her finger-where it rightfully belonged. The human mark of ownership has appeased his beast slightly. However it was far from enough. One could not quench the thirst of a man left to die in the desert with a single drop of water-on the contrary, it would drive him to perdition, forever chasing that fleeting relief.

Zachary hesitated at the entrance, his knuckles just grazing her door.

A muffled whimper was barely heard in the stillness of the manor, but his sharp senses caught on it instantly. His dark heart clenched in pain. His impatience to reveal his true nature to her had caused this. He should have waited longer, given more time for their tentative bond to grow.

His desire to comfort her was wrong. The one who caused hurt could not be the same one to lick wounds. Margo would just feel terrified at the sight of him awake and wild in the middle of the night.

After his sharp hearing assured him the fireplace was still burning in her room, Zachary reluctantly returned to his chamber and stood on the cold balcony. The rain still battled on outside. He closed his eyes and welcomed nature's fury. At this point, he was not even sure if his strong emotions were responsible for the storm.

He did not care. As long as Margo and her kin were safe, the world could go to hell. The world certainly had not cared about him when he was under imprisonment, in his own personal hell. With a fluid move, he leaped off the marble balustrade and landed gracefully on the wet ground.

He needed to go feed. Maybe this would calm him.

The forest surrounding his manor was quiet as he passed. The animals recognised him as the supreme predator in the food chain, bowing down to him or plainly hiding away. A lone grey wolf dropped his neck in submission. It was curious the see the animal so far away from his usual hunting ground, but Zachary concluded the towns people must have shunned it away from their borders.

Rumour had it a a rabid beast was the cause behind the recent mysterious murders. Zachary grinned savagely. How far from the truth they were.

Finally arriving on the pebbled paths of the quiet town, he was not surprised to see that it was almost deserted. It was nothing like the capital where activity went on, regardless of day or night. Nevertheless, Zachary would find his prey. He always did.

His wandering brought him near a brothel hidden between some dark twisted alleys. He noted the establishment was far away from both Fredor's library and Percy's tavern which his Margo frequented. She would certainly have a lot to say about this old as time business and the women forced to work here.

However, from what his senses told him, it seemed everyone was having ungodly fun in this certain place of damnation. Moans of pleasure, sounds of skin meeting skin and grunts of satisfaction were a good indication of it.

Despite this, he did not enter. In the past, he had taken advantage of such brothels where he could easily find a victim and fill his thirst. But now, the touch of another, however brief, filled him with disgust. His lust was solely focused on only one woman.

Disregarding the desire laden gaze of a scantily-clad bosomy redhead waiting at the entrance of the brothel, he continued his search. Patience was a quality in nocturnal predators like him. Finally, he found someone in the public market.

A drunkard, singing a quite off-tune melody was currently serenading a bronze statue depicting and ancient goddess of fertility. The man's object of affection was clearly not responding to his advances, yet he still continued on, reaching high notes with a brutality that made Zachary's eardrums bleed. He sighed, human kind was such a silly race, but this one would do for his thirst. After all, the middle-aged drunk man seemed in good health.

With a final sigh, Zachary made his presence known to the kneeling human who was now embracing the sculpture. Though deep in an alcoholic daze, the man was wise enough to recognise the predator hidden in Zachary, thus ceasing his lovesick song.

Dragging the man to a dimly lit dead end, far from prying eyes, Zachary ordered with hypnotic orbs:

"Stay still and silent." Without warning his fangs sunk in the man's pulsing vein. Instantly, the taste of blood flooded his mouth. He grimaced, though he continued to take big gulps of the crimson liquid. This was not the sweet nectar the vampire longed for, but it will tide him over. Hopefully till he had his bonding ceremony with Margo.

The man's tears wetted his cheeks and pained moans arose from his victim. Zachary raised his head, tormented by the sound-they resembled too much the whimpers he had heard from his mate tonight. Abruptly, the man's wrinkled tear stained face transformed into his beloved delicate features, her eyes gazing at him with fear and disgust.

Burnt by the hallucination, he released the man.

Zachary hissed. His mind played wicked tricks on him. Nevertheless, he could not continue drinking from the human after what he had seen. With reluctance, he closed the man's wounds, erased his memories of the encounter and sent him on his way. Probably back to his dear statue or maybe back home to safety.

Still shaken, Zachary did not hear the silent steps of the predator landing behind him.

"You are growing soft, Zachary," a disappointed deep voice rang out.