CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: INCOGNITO (5/5)

As Astrid had promised, Kas's WASP visor gave her perfect vision in the darkness. A thirty-second timer appeared in her right peripherals and began counting down. With no time to think, she darted forwards towards Worm, her left hand searching for the promised switch on the crate's handle. Worm was still sitting on the desk, though she had for some reason thrown herself over the X1 like its bodyguard.

Kas found the switch just as she arrived by Worm's side. The top of the crate unfolded in an instant and revealed the empty space within. Realising there was no time or way of explaining to Worm what was about to happen, Kas grabbed the kid by the waist and hauled her towards trolley.

Except she wasn't letting go of the X1.

'Come on, kid!' Kas groaned. Nine seconds had already passed and this wasn't helping matters. In a moment of desperation, she pulled hard and practically rolled Worm and the X1 into the cart. There was a loud thunk that sounded more like the X1 hitting its base than the girl, but there was no time to check. Kas hit the switch on the handle and the crate's lid folded shut.

And she was off.

Fourteen seconds left...

Every worker around the room was fumbling about like zombies while Kas bolted towards the ramp with the cart. She spared a glimpse for Swanne as she raced past the tank and saw her frantically swimming to its top - but it looked like Astrid had already closed the lid, trapping her inside. Kymeira, meanwhile, was in a frantic fight with the mechanical snake which was doing a good job of keeping the panther occupied.

Nine seconds left...

Kas could feel her speed dropping as she ascended the ramp, acid building in her legs and burning her calves. The exit wasn't far away.

Five seconds...

She saw the doors split open on her approach and forced herself to sprint the last few feet. She passed the threshold just as the countdown reached zero.

The lights came back on just as the doors slid closed behind her.