Chapter 14

HUDSON

I could practically hear crickets chirping after Beta Mitchell stuttered out his announcement and it wasn't even nighttime. We were that silent.

The look on Alpha Horris's was somewhere between shock and horrified. I couldn't blame him. Our problems just got worse. If the griffins were after Alexis, they might go after the newborn as well and that was a huge problem– Alexis could defend herself, but the newborn couldn't. 

"On second thought, I think we'll leave today. The faster we get to the witches, the faster we can get our answers and plan ahead," I said, breaking the tense atmosphere. We couldn't wait around anymore, we needed to act quickly before the wrong people found about Beta Mitchell's boy. 

Alpha Horris sighed and cracked his fingers, "I don't know. Alexis is still weak and I don't want to stress her out."

Beta Mitchell looked at Alpha Horris with a desperate look on his face, "Please, Horris. Alexis is a strong wolf, she can take care of herself. We need to get answers. My newborn son is in danger now."

Alpha Horris glared at the ground in deep thought for a few minutes, before he finally nodded, "Fine. I'll send Alexis."

I nodded and made a move to leave when Alpha Horris stopped me again, "Hudson, promise you'll take care of her. I don't care if you accept her or not right now, I just want her to come home safely."

My eyes narrowed, "I might not have accepted her, Alpha Horris. But I do care enough to make sure she's safe."

This made him nod in satisfaction before he went back to conversing with Beta Mitchell. Once I was in the hallway, I sped up and moved swiftly to the pack hospital, only nodding at some of the pack warriors that were on duty. On the way there, I mind-linked Boston and Matthew and told them to start packing their things and inform our pack warriors that we were leaving.

I yanked open the door to the hospital and the smell of hand sanitizer filled my nostrils almost immediately as I walked further inside. My eyes trailed over the numbered doors as I tried to figure out where Alexis was.

"Alpha Hudson," One of the nurses bowed her head, "How may we help you today?"

"Where's Alexis? She should be with Beta Mitchell's mate." 

The nurse nodded, "Room number 17, Alpha."

"Thank you."

A few seconds later, I was knocking on the door impatiently. A nurse opened the door and stared at me confusedly, "Can I help you, Alpha?"

"Is Alexis here?" I snapped. I was getting annoyed with all the questions people were asking me. Why couldn't they just let me through?

She nodded and opened the door further. I stepped inside and saw a woman passed out in the hospital bed. Beside her, Alexis was staring at the baby, who was sleeping in his bassinet. She looked up and gave me a small smile, "I'm guessing you heard," she whispered.

I nodded and looked at the baby sleeping peacefully in the bassinet, unaware of the danger that he was going to face. I wouldn't say he looked cute, considering he was red and wrinkled, but there was something about him that made me want to smile.

Alexis sighed and ran a finger over the baby's hand, "Just when I thought our problems couldn't get any bigger. We have a vulnerable baby that is in danger as well."

"How did you find out about his blood?"

"They were taking a blood test," She explaining, showing me the baby's heel.

I frowned, "Already? I thought you were supposed to wait a few days."

"It's different for a werewolf baby."