Chapter 3 - Past Imperfect

One of the things I loved about having my own business was that I could work from home and be with Michael, and even jog at all hours of the day, hoping to bump into a handsome stranger named Erik. Unfortunately, it didn't do much for job security.

One day you were on top of the world with too many accounts, and the next, you had to scramble to make up for accounts you'd lost, whether because the job was moved in-house, or they found someone who could do what you did for a lot cheaper. Whatever the reason, it was the life I had chosen - and one where I now found myself scrambling to replenish an account lost after it was brought in-house.

If I still painted - or was brave enough to start painting again - I wouldn't have to live like this, setting up social networking accounts for small companies and work-at-home mothers trying to sell their creations but needing that extra push in the social networking scene. Sure, I'd be painting in the garage, amidst half-full paint cans and boxes destined for the thrift store and only while Michael slept, but there would be no scrambling. My paintings had supported me long before Eunice died, and afterwards, when she left me everything she owned.

But life has a way of reminding us that sometimes we just can't be in control of it all the time. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lost. And with David back in my life now that Rosie was gone, I was far from winning.

With my social networking accounts barely paying the bills, I'd had to depend on David for his child support payments - payments he withheld on purpose to get whatever he wanted, like getting to spend more time with Michael during the week when he wasn't supposed to, or simply getting his way with me.

When I complained to the attorney about David not following the visitation agreement shortly after Chuck and the kids moved to Phoenix, I found David waiting for me at my house. That day, more than a year after I thought I had officially kicked David out of my life, he showed me just how wrong I was, how the nightmare I thought was over when I divorced him was never really over.

When David was done, there were no bruises. He knew better than to leave them. There were no broken bones, for he knew a second time at the hospital would cause more suspicion than it did the first time, when he claimed I tripped in the garden. What he did leave this time could not be seen by anyone, and it was just the way David liked it.

At least he'd had the decency to use protection this time, I thought, knowing that I'd still have the blood test done the next month for my annual check-up. At the very least, I was grateful that the last check up told me I was clean.

"I can take Michael away from you any time, Sam," he said. "I know enough people down at the Poopdeck and have them tell the judge that you were there last night, or last week, and that you left Michael alone at home so you could have a bit of fun with some random guy you just met."

"I'll even sue you for libel for that stunt you pulled in Beverly Hills, Sam," he continued, snickering. "That way, they'll have good reason to reopen your juvie records and see just what a bad girl you used to be. Do you think the judge would be more inclined to let you have Michael when he finds out that your good girl act is just that? An act?"

"And there's your mother," he added. "You really don't think I could find her and drag her in front of the judge? Show him the mother of the year, the one you'd rely on if I wasn't around? What was she addicted to? Heroin, was it? Do you think she'd be presentable enough around Michael? I didn't think so."

He pulled out his wallet and took out a wad of bills, tossing it at me. They fluttered onto the floor, untouched. "Here's the money for Michael, love, with a little extra for next month, in case I'm going to be out of town," he said, chuckling. "Don't spend it all in one go. Oh, and if you knew what was good for you, don't be running to your attorney again. You just might fall in the garden and break the other hand if you're not careful."