Reason [22]

^Dragons

Recap:
Tenshi takes into account Battos role in the war and saves batto from a fate she felt he didn't deserve.
"You'll have to go through me first."
||

"Enough."

Looking to the source of the new voice, I see a beautiful white dragoness with wise blue eyes along with small birdlike  green grumpy looking old dragon, who looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

The white dragon comes between me and Haru, a sense of authority rolling off her in waves.

She turns her head and gives Haru a stern yet kind look. "Haru, you and as well as everyone aside from our guests in this clearing know that  holding on to the past does nothing but hinder our present. We all feel sorrow for Fuyumi's death but blaming another will not change the fate she was dealt. Remember, you weren't the only one who lost their rider that day. "

My eyes cast down for a second in guilt at her words. That's right...I did kill their riders...

"As for you."

Feeling her gaze on me, I turn rigid like a deer caught in headlights. Despite my fear at the intimidating dragoness before me, I pushed myself up, wincing in slight pain with a limp.

"I cannot tell if you are brave or stupid?"
Getting closer, the large dragon leans down, now eye level with the human."You obviously fear us yet stand in Haru's way. Tell me human, why do you protect him? You are aware he let his rider die right?"

She glances up at Batto with an unreadable expression as I inhale sharply. I glance up as well, making eye contact with the jet black dragon. If what they said was true and Batto along with the other dragons were there that day...They watched us get tortured...and he watched my brother get killed... I started to think of what would've happened if the dragon had interfered. I would've never stumbled upon the leaf village and I'd be in the midst of a battle against my fathers clan. I'd still be resented by my enemies as well as my allies either way...The dragons and Jikan would've still hated me for whom I hosted. Setsuko would still be alive...but It would've still been a lose lose situation...

"Everyone has their reasons...even if he let my brother die...no one is to blame for the demise of the village except for me. Wether he had stepped in or not, blood would've still been shed..." I pause, my eyes still cast down on the ground. I could still remember that night as if it were yesterday, all the lifeless bodies...
"We both have death on our hands and it's the reason why I'm willing to try and understand his reasons for not stepping into stop my brother from being killed..." Clenching my fists, I step forward defensively out of the jet black dragons protection.

" I am sorry for what I've done and I will forever live with the guilt and shame of all the innocents I killed that night. I'm sorry for killing your riders. But I didn't ask to be born into main household. I didn't ask to host a monster, I didn't ask for Batto to be assigned to my household. I didn't ask for any of it! Life dealt me a bad hand and I've made some terrible decisions that will haunt me for the rest of my life. But I'm only human and humans make mistake just as I'm sure you dragons have made..." I breath heavily with conviction in my hues, shifting my eyes of to stare in defiance. So...If I'm willing to forgive a practical stranger and listen to his reasons for letting my brother die then I'm sure you can do the same...if not..." Dropping to my knees, I bow my head in surrender. "Kill me instead."

Silence ensued throughout the clearing as the dragons stared at the tiny human in shock.
The large dragon gazes at the girl for any sign of insincerity but finds none. After a moment, the blue dragons eyes soften. "The child is right."