i. Cat and mouse

'She's the kinda girl that looks so Strong, but feels so Weak.'

Tony Stark sat in The Avengers tower, his usually well kept appearance was something to be questioned as he lazily sipped from his cold coffee mug.

He knew what today was, he just wasn't sure he was ready for it.

Today was the day that he and the Avengers would follow an anonymous lead to find his daughter, a wanted Shield personnel believed to possess Mutant powers.

Of course, he hadn't known that at the time the letter arrived, all he knew was that a one night stand almost sixteen years ago had resulted in him now having a teenage daughter.

It wasn't like he could forget that night either, one does not just forget a women like Althea Chase.

"Tony," He looked up at the doorway and nodded to Natasha, indicating for her to continue "We're ready." She spoke up causing him to sigh.

It was now or never.

..........

To anyone looking out onto the scene as the cool Autumn breeze blew across the street, the girl would look almost normal weaving in and out of the passers by as anybody else would.

Her long dark brown hair blew in the wind with ever step she took, obscuring her sight every now and then as it blew up into her eyes and got caught on her eyelashes.

She had such a determined aura about her that contradicted the mischievous smirk that was settled on her face, looking natural strung across her soft features as an effortless look of interest made its way on to her face.

To anyone paying close enough attention to the young girl would notice the man following close behind her, watching her every step and movement with precise analysis. 

Every sharp corner she took, he took the same. Each time she would quicken her pace, he would mimic her actions.

To her the situation had become a routine, almost a game. 

He on the other hand was in no mood for games, he was dedicated in that moment not to fail again on behalf of the Avengers.

As people milled around her they spoke mostly in English -- her native language -- but she could occasionally hear snippets of other conversations in unfamiliar languages like French or Russian.

Of course the girl was bilingual, but she had opted for more peculiar and less familiar languages to learn, like Greek and Romanian, Irish being something she picked up at a later date. She'd even took to learning sign language after a particularly interesting interaction with a man who spoke in ASL one time.

As the girl continued on down the road, completely aware of the fact that she was being followed, she took a sharp turn down an alleyway that led to a dead end, the only things in sight were the disposal bins and the dim street lights at the end of the short walk.

As the Agent followed the young girl a feeling of triumph settled in him at the fact she had done the work for him, cornering herself and making his job ten times easier.

His celebrating was cut short though as he himself rounded the corner and was met by nothing but the dimly lit walls surrounding him, taunting him as he came to a stop, squinting in the light in hopes of finding her hiding amongst the shadows.