sixteen

"SO WHAT the fuck is this?" Eddie asked, his eyebrows narrowing.

This made Ash feel even worse, and she couldn't find the words. How was she supposed to tell him that she didn't like him like that?

He looked at Richie. "Why the fuck are you messing with her again? After what you said to her I'm surprised you even had the guts to even show your face."

Richie's face went stony. "What goes on between me and her is my business, not yours."

"Actually," Eddie laughed. "It kind of is my business considering she's my girlfriend and all."

"Eddie." Ash said, cutting between them. "I need to talk to you."

"No."

Ash froze, and then looked at Richie, who seemed even surprised he had said that himself.

He blinked and then said, "I'll talk to him."

Ash stared at him, and Eddie said, "Talk to me about what? I don't want you-"

"Eds, just go outside." Richie said, and Eddie glared at him.

"Don't fucking tell me what to do! And don't call me that!"

Ash looked at him. "Eddie, please, just go talk to him."

She held his gaze and Eddie looked at her for a couple of seconds before relenting. "Fine."

He turned and disappeared from the tent, and Richie took a deep breath and followed, the cool night air hitting him as Eddie faced him.

"What, are you here to laugh at me? Cause that's what you do best."

Richie ignored him. "Eddie. Pennywise possessed Ash and made her fall for you."

There was a silence as Eddie stood there, digesting this information.

"Do you really think I'm stupid enough to fall for anymore of your bullshit, Richie Tozier? Ash isn't your property. She has a fucking mind of her own."

"I never said she didn't. I'm telling you the truth because she's already been through hell enough tonight and it would have destroyed her to have to tell you this." Richie answered sharply.

"Don't fucking act like I'm three years old, I know her better than y-"

"Really!?" Richie exclaimed, jerking his finger towards the tent. "Because she was an inch from death tonight. That clown cornered her and almost fucking killed her, and you had no idea. Some boyfriend you were."

Eddie's face twisted, and he said sharply, "You are such a fucking dick. From the second Ash and I started hanging out you had to butt in with all your stupid comments and jokes. She doesn't like you, yet you still kept going after her. Get a fucking life. You're pathetic."

Richie shoved his shoulders. "Shut the the fuck up!"

Eddie snorted. "No! God, you act like you're the only guy for her just because you're so fucking in love with her!"

"Bullshit." Richie muttered, and Eddie rolled his eyes.

"Oh come one, Tozier. We all know it."

"I'm-I'm not in-"

"Guys?"

They both glanced up, seeing Ash standing there, concern written all over her expression.

Eddie pointed at Richie. "He's bullshitting, right? This whole clown thing- bullshit."

When Ash didn't answer, and could only stare at him hopelessly, realization washed over his expression.

"It possessed you?" He asked, his voice faint.

Ash nodded mutely, biting her lip so hard she drew blood. "Eds, I like you. I really do but- not like that."

Eddie swallowed, shooting a look at Richie. "Great. Bet you can get a real kick out of this."

"Please, don't." Ash said desperately. "I'm so sorry, Eddie."

He sighed, meeting her eyes. "I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at him."

He jerked his head towards Richie, who growled, "Right back at you, asshole."

"Beep, beep Richie." Ash mumbled quickly, and Richie immediately went silent, staring sullenly at Eddie.

"I want to keep being friends with you, Eds, if that's okay." She asked, and Eddie hesitated before smiling bravely at her.

"I would like that."

They looked at each other for a couple of seconds before Eddie said, "I'd better go. Mom's probably waiting."

Ash's eyes were warm. "Tell her I said hi."

A flash of grin cracked Eddie's face. "Will do."

Ash took a step towards him and hugged him tightly before letting go.

"See you." Eddie said, pulling away.

"See you." Ash replied, and Eddie glanced at Richie, who had folded his arms.

As he started to walk, he muttered into Richie's ear, so soft it was barely a whisper, "Stop being a pussy and tell her."

He pulled away and continued walking, disappearing into the flashing lights of rides and crowds of people.

Richie watched him go, and then turned to Ash, who had an unreadable expression on her face.

"You okay?" He asked, and she nodded.

After a couple of seconds she tilted her head, smiling as she looked at him. "What do you want to do?"

Richie grinned. "You."

"Oh my God."

He shook his head, smiling. "Come on. Let's go home."

Later, when they were back on his couch, covered up with the same old blanket, Richie's legs touching hers, Ash asked, "Have your parents dropped in?"

Richie nodded. "They knew you were staying, and apparently don't even care."

The look she gave him was sympathetic. "I'm sorry."

He rolled his eyes. "Don't apologize. It's great, because you get to stay."

Ash picked at the blanket. "I'm causing you so much shit. You had to fight Bowers for me, you had to let me stay here, you had to save me from the clown-"

"Beautiful."

She looked up. "What?"

"Have I ever told you one of my favorite things to do is to save you? Because then I get to know, 'She's safe.' And that's one of the best feelings in the world."

Ash laughed softly, smiling. "Well, aren't I lucky."

~

The next morning, Richie woke up to the sound of the phone ringing.

"I'll get it." Ash yawned, climbing off the couch and padded to the kitchen.

"Hello?" Richie heard her say, and after a couple of minutes heard the phone being put back on the hook.

He looked up as she re-entered the room, her face pale, and he sat up quickly.

"What? What is it?"

She looked up at him, her eyes wide. "That was Bill. H-he said It got Beverly."

Richie stared at her, and stood. "I didn't sign up for this! Fuck all the clowns! First you, now Bev- we have to do something."

Ash nodded, her gaze distant as if she was thinking hard, and a couple of seconds later she finally spoke.

"We have to help Bill." She took a deep breath, and then said, "We have to go back to Neibolt."

HERE IT IS, CHAPTER SIXTEEN! sorry it took so long to get up, it took me forever to write because i had a rough outline of this chapter and basically no inspiration. next one coming very soon, leave some reactions and votes (: