Chapter 10

To be clear, Sasuke's excuse for his missing arm has yet to be specified, and will be revealed later.

Third person pov

Only an hour later, Shikaku Nara found Sasuke Uchiha once again on his doorstep. Only this time the boy wasn't wrapped in a sheet, and looked to have been crying, his face wet and sticky and his eyes, puffy. He was panting, making it clear that he'd run here. He didn't even wait for Shikaku to speak, shoving past him and entering the house shamelessly. He seemed frantic, almost. Shikaku closed the door quickly and turned around in time to see Shikamaru capture Sasuke in a hug. The Nara clan-head flinched. Since when did Shikamaru hug anyone voluntarily.

Shikaku wasn't sure what was happening, and had to take a second to set it all out. Sasuke had come to his house, this time without Naruto, and was crying. He'd probably told his family about his arm, and how it'd happened. But what had happened? He honestly was drawn a blank with that one. Another thing was that he immediately went to Shikamaru, who would always squirm in his mother's hugs, for comfort. And Shikamaru had willingly opened his arms to the boy, almost as though he'd done it before. The action was way too familiar, and it definitely set the already-disturbed clan-head farther on edge. 

"I-I told them about the Cantaloupe Happening." Sasuke sobbed, tapping a brief explanation on Shikamaru's back using morse code. The Nara boy pretended to soothe Sasuke as he sucked the explanation is. "It's okay, Sasuke. They needed to know. You need to see a doctor, anyway." Shikamaru said in his best soothing voice, which was probably better than he gave himself credit for. Sasuke shuddered in his grasp. "I-I shouldn't have told them." Sasuke denied, pulling away. He looked scared, his eyes wide, and his only remaining hand twitching. Yoshino entered the room.

"Oh my, Sasuke-kun! Are you alright?" She nearly dropped the bowl she was carrying when she spotted the Uchiha. "What's the Cantaloupe Happening?" Shikaku questioned, scratching his head. Shikamaru shook his head at his father, letting Sasuke hug him again. "We don't talk about it, dad." Shikamaru denied, his hand clenching the shoulder where Sasuke's arm was missing. "Well, when did it happen?" Yoshino could only assume that the Cantaloupe Happening was what had Sasuke so upset. "Last night." Shikamaru said tightly, avoiding eye contact. Sasuke's body began to shake uncontrollably. "Hey, Sasuke, calm down!" Shikamaru pulled away from the boy. The Uchiha stared at him with wide, terrified eyes. "Where's Naruto?" Was Sasuke's response. "He's fine. He's with the Hokage." He assured. Sasuke was still shaking.

Shikaku felt his heart sink for what felt like the millionth time that day.

~

Fugaku was beyond pissed.

Not at Sasuke. No, he could never be mad at Sasuke over something like this. It wasn't his fault. Not at all. He was mad at that man. "Where do you think the body is?" Itachi asked, shaking. "That doesn't matter right now, Itachi. We just need to find your brother." Fugaku said, doing his best to remain as calm as possible. Mikoto had stayed home in case Sasuke came to the house. Although, both of them doubted. "How did we not notice he was gone? How did I not notice?" Itachi was horrified, and felt more guilt than any teenager should feel over something they didn't even do. "It wasn't your fault." Fugaku turned to his son, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Now come on. Let's find your brother." 

They continued their search.

~

"Naruto-kun, who taught you to make clones?" The Hokage asked curiously as the Naruto clones ran about the apartment, shoving their creator's few belongings into boxes. "Shikamaru, Sasuke and I like to train together! One time we saw a shinobi training, and Sasuke saw the hand signs, because his eyes are super fast! He and Shikamaru tried it and it didn't work... but I can do it!" The original Naruto puffed up proudly, and Hiruzen chuckled. Even without their Sharingan, Uchiha were very fast learners, and processed things a lot faster than the average man did. He wouldn't be surprised if Sasuke had seen a chunin, one not yet used to forming hand signs too quickly, perform the Shadow Clone Jutsu.

"You have a lot of chakra, Naruto-kun." The Hokage praised. Naruto gave a large close-eyed grin, scratching the back of his neck in a bashful sort of way that made Sarutobi smile. He still wasn't sure what to do with Naruto, but he knew he had to do something. "Where am I gonna live after this, Jiji?! Huh, huh, huh?!" Naruto bounced happily, staring up at the man with shining eyes. Hiruzen had to laugh at the enthusiasm the boy set forth. He was glad Naruto wasn't too changed by all he went through. 

"Well, Naruto-kun, I'm going to find you a home." He assured. He expected an excited response. Hell, maybe even a tearful one. Not a pale face and sad eyes. Hiruzen was taken aback by the sudden change in facade. Was Naruto faking being happy, because from his dramatic mood-change, that's the way it seemed. "But... Jiji..." Naruto's next words absolutely broken Hiruzen's heart, filling the older man with remorse and regret.

"Who would ever want someone like me?"