[ forty three ] hostage

chapter forty threehostage

chapter forty three
hostage

"So this kid's a real killer?"

As soon as Matt had disappeared along with the Kanima, the three teenagers had quickly drove to the Stilinski household where they knew Stiles' dad would be. They told him that Matt had been the one behind all of the murders, of course leaving the part out where he used a Kanima to do so.

Currently they were stood over a yearbook, the lamp on Stiles' desk shining down on it. A red circle was drawn around Matt's picture.

"Yeah." Stiles confirmed his dad's question.

Noah shook his head, "no."

Harper and Stiles looked at him in surprise. "Yes!" Stiles shot back, glaring slightly from his desk chair.

"No." Sheriff Stilinski replied sternly, folding his arms across his chest.

Stiles quickly bounded up from the chair. "Dad, come on. Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all you have to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

Scott nodded encouragingly from behind the mole speckled boy.

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promotor Kara wasn't in Harris's class." Sheriff Stilinski pointed out.

"Right, sorry." Stiles groaned, "I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

Noah shook his head, holding a finger up to Stiles. "No, you know what. They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything- Scott, Harper. Do you two believe this?"

Stiles rolled his eyes.

"It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just gotta trust us." Scott explained to him, "we know it's Matt."

Harper nodded along side him when Noah looked at her expectantly. "Oh yeah it's definitely him."

"Yeah, he took Harris's car, okay?" Stiles continued urgently. "Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victim's were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him."

"All right, fine." Noah reluctantly gave in. "I'll allow the remote possiblity, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles cried, his hands making big movements. "Our swim team sucks! We haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

Noah nodded, "what do you want me to do?"

Stiles let out a breath of relief and Harper smiled slightly as Scott leaned forwards. "We need to look at the evidence." He told him.

"Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work." Noah replied, shooting Stiles an annoyed look since he had been the one to get him fired.