Chapter 12

Kaelyn was still sleeping when I got up and went out to wash my face. Cold water splashed in my face made the chilly morning air feel like a winter storm. Rubbing my hands down my face reminded me of Kaelyn's smooth face. This reminded me that I had yet to talk with Cassiel about my conflicted and uncertain emotion regarding Kaelyn. I knew that there was something between Kaelyn and I, but having never been interested in women before, I did not understand it.

My opportunity came as Cassiel shuffled out of the house and joined me by the wash basin. Moving over to allow her access to the cold water, I asked, "Do you think I could ever have a chance with Kaelyn?"

Sputtering and spitting water from her mouth, Cassiel looked at me with a soft smile. "Do you want to be with Kaelyn?" she calmly asked.

"I don't know. Ever since I met her I have had these strange moments and I feel drawn to her. No one I have ever seen compares to her, but that does not mean I am attracted to her, does it?" I admitted.

"Z, you can't tell your heart what to feel. If you like this girl, then these feelings are normal. I felt much the same when I first met your brother. The real question is how will you act on these feelings? I do not have to hear her story to know that she fled an arranged marriage. Right now she is not emotionally stable, no matter what she says." Cassiel stated.

Unsure of what she meant by that I asked hesitantly, "Are you saying I should not pursue these feelings?"

"No, no, of course not. All I am saying is that Kaelyn needs some time to get used to this new life. Give her some time to adjust, and if you still feel these feelings in the Spring then you need to do the right thing and talk to her. Also, if you know who her parents are then you should by custom inform them of your intentions... Do you know," She questioned.

Thinking back to last night when I had come to the conclusion that Shaw was Kaelyn's father, I nodded my head. I was going to see him in the Spring anyways, as he with luck would have found me a horse and I would have furs and his list of items to trade.

"Z, Cassiel, where are you?" Kaelyn's voice called from inside the house.

Sighing at the interruption and abrupt ending of the talk, I called out, "We are outside."

Dressed in a different outfit than she had been wearing when we had met, Kaelyn appeared at the door. Picking up the faint cough from my sister, I knew that Cassiel agreed that Kaelyn would never look like an Outlander in her clothes. Talking about such was something I gladly left to Cassiel as she greeted, "Good morning Kaelyn. Your dress is beautiful, are you sure you want to wear it traveling?"

Kaelyn's outfit was indeed a work of beauty, black in color it had a lace fringe and seemed to be made up of multiple layers of material. The first two of the three layers were of alternating styles of a mesh like lace material, while the third was was looked to be a light cotton. Few people outside of the Walled Cities would wear such, and it would draw attention to her. Attention was not something I wanted and I preferred to avoid it as much as possible.

 Attention was not something I wanted and I preferred to avoid it as much as possible