Delusional - Chapter Four

"Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic."

Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1

***

Abbi remembered seeing horror movies when she was a little girl. She could remember the overdone, cheesy story lines; how mental men locked girls in their basements. Abbi supposed, faced with her own situation, that she and those girls were coincidentally similar.

The days that had past since the ball all seemed to bulge together in one mass of endless nothingness. Abbi couldn't recall her last encounter with humanity making insanity a 

much better alternative than admitting to being a vampire's "blood slave".

Abbi lay sprawled on the same mattress she had grown accustomed to over the last few weeks. Constantly uncomfortable, she would waste days like this, unable to wrap her mind around everything that had happened recently.

Nathaniel was another issue entirely. He acted chivalrous around her, constantly smiling and watching her with bright and intrigued eyes, however; Abigail couldn't get those fangs from her mind. Of course, their interactions weren't all so terse. Often enough, he would tell her stories of his world; The Court, a long living bloodline of superhuman vampires that would be forevermore stuck in their own regal-ness, and vampire Ranking. It turns out, not all of them were blood-sucking demons, some were rich blood-sucking demons, and others were richer blood-sucking demons, and only if you were lucky, you would encounter the richest blood-sucking demon. He said wealth came with age and the older one was the more money they'd ultimately have. And on this sadly ironic note, Nathaniel then told her that he was over one-hundred years older than her. Terrific.

Abbi turned over, letting her hand rest against her warm palms, curling into a fetal position.

Nathaniel also explained the importance of being a Subjugate, but to be honest, she didn't care about his petty importance. The Subjugate, from what Abbi had read and what Nathaniel told her, was the host for a vampire's source of blood. Or, to put it frankly, a slave to an eternal demon.

Nathaniel tried to assure her he did not need to feed very often, and so far, his word was true. And yet, the first time his teeth were embedded in her neck would still be etched into her skull.

She hated how good it felt, and how much her body craved it; shivering at the thought of his beautiful face in the crook of her neck.

Suddenly, a series of knocks sounded at the door, bringing Abigail from her thoughts. Nathaniel never knocked, he just waltzed right in. Lifting her head Abbi expected her voice to be croaky as she said "Come In", only instead of sounding like a frog, her tone screamed with curiosity.

The door burst open the moment she spoke, but the only glimpse of the knocker was a blur of fiery red and milky white.

Flashing to the edge of Nathaniel's bed where Abbi lay, a very innocent-looking Evie cried: "Abigail!" Clutched in one of her tiny hands was Patten's wrist, and it's owner who was being towed along reluctantly. Upon seeing Abbi, though, the boy smirked.

She brought her eyes back to the eager Evie. "Evangeline? What are you doing here?"

Evie waved a hand at Abbi, still smiling. "Oh please, call me Evie, darling. And that old toot Nathaniel doesn't know we're here ... but I wanted to drop on by and- Goodness! Can you imagine if he found out we were here? He'd be so angry. You know, Nathaniel thinks you need time to process and such, but I was just so impatient to see you again!" Half of what came out of Evie's mouth was lost to Abbi; the girl was talking so fast.