Boundaries

I wait until I see Vincent slip out of the changing room with the track team. Usually, he would bring his backpack out for me to watch, but he left it in his locker today. Right now, I'm supposed to be driving to the mall with my friends. With the Winter Formal approaching, he must've believed my lie, thinking I was being dragged into dress shopping hysteria. Wrong. I'm going home to eat strawberries and cream with Wilbur. Well, more like Wilbur eats the strawberries and I sit and spray a whole can of whipped cream into my mouth while we watch the food channel.

I frantically shake the can of whipped cream before pressing on the nozzle as hard as I can. Nothing comes out besides the sizzling of air.

"Ugh, they need to make these cans bigger," I say, turning to Wilbur. He's unaware of my tantrum since he fell asleep after eating a whole strawberry. "At least you're satisfied," I sigh.

"I didn't realize the mall was your house."

I glance at my door and Vincent is smiling at me with his arms crossed.

"I just came home."

"The seven empty cans of whipped cream says otherwise."

"What are you even doing here?" I try to say coldly.

"Cause I miss you."

"Jeez, it's been two days."

"Yeah, that's a long time." Vincent lays down on the bed beside me, one of his arms propping up his head, which is facing me.

"I-I-I should put Wilbur back into his tank." I roll over, but Vincent twists me back and drags me closer to him, pinning my arms between our chests.

"You have no idea how jealous of Wilbur I am," he whispers, his breath tickling my cheek.

I forget to speak and instead stare at his face. Have his lips always been this pink? Why are they shaped so perfectly? I wonder if they feel like cotton. Why is his jaw so straight? Could I use it as a ruler?  His chin is so sharp I want to poke it. Look at his ears. Gosh, they're cute. When did ears get cute? He has high cheekbones. Why haven't I noticed? Maybe he lost weight. I could probably comb his eyelashes. I wish I had eyelashes like that. Why are his eyes so glossy? Shoot, he's looking straight at me. Why have I been staring? Do I look away? No, he already caught me. But I can't keep gawking at him! What's wrong with me today? Why can't I look away?

I scramble away and end up falling off the other side of the bed.

"Wendy, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just remembered I might've let the stove on. I should probably check it. Stay here." I slowly back away towards the door and fly down the stairs. Once I'm in the kitchen, I crack open the fridge so I can stick my head inside to cool down.

It's not like I didn't know Vincent was visually attractive. However, I've never been one to fawn over someone's look. I acknowledged that people are beautiful, but I never got absorbed or obsessed. Maybe it's due to the fact I'm always staring at my feet.

"Wendy, what are you doing?" Wren asks.

"Nothing." I keep my head hidden in the fridge.

"Okay, then. Just let me grab a yogurt." Wren reaches over my head and I grab her by the shoulders and start to shake her.