S M O K E

LOW BEATS THRUM THROUGH THE CLUB, colored lights flicker on and off as bodies sway to the hypnotic music. The darkness so colorful and beautiful, you can't possibly look away. Pillows of dry ice blankets the dance floor, the club smells of spicy drinks and magic. I hadn't expected much of it when I had stepped in. But now, sitting one of the bar stools, it's clear why people would want to spend their weekends here than in their dorms. The place is bewitching, an air of promiscuousness that might've offended me before but now sends a shiver of excitement licking down my spine.

Kayla and Jenny are lost in the crowd, dancing with random people. The low lights make it hard to distinguish the people around you. It gives many the boldness to come out and some the boost to mingle with others. A club where everyone was anonymous. They gave masks at the entrance so everyone's anonymity could be retained.

S I N E N O M I N E

See-nay, no-me-nay is the way Kayla had pronounced the club's name. Latin for 'Without A Name'.

You had no name. No face. No identity. You could be anyone you want to. With anyone you want to.

Sadly, I desire none of these things so I sit timidly on the stool and watch the throng of people move with the music. Longing for people from my past. It's expensive to get in but Jenny had the necessary connections and strings she pulled to get us three in for a massive discount. There's a demure club just across this one and probably more crowded because it had no charges for entrance. Nor any fancy masks to hide your identity.

I touch my mask, trailing my fingers over its silk edges. It's dark with silver beads decorating its rims and two black laces attached to fix it on your face. We could keep them. But I don't know what other event may require such an object.

"You know what you look like?"

I hear a voice a coming from my side, I snap my face towards them. I had apparently zoned out.

Again.

It's annoying, I have to be alert if I want to neutralize a threat directed at me. If I want to anticipate an attack.

The stranger was a guy with silver frost as hair, green eyes piercing through his mask as his thin lips curl in a lopped grin. He wears a simple blue button down shirt and jeans. Not much older than I am, from what I can tell. I look down to my dark dress, my form was strong enough to take him down in a matter for five seconds if I wanted.

"No," I take the bait to amuse him. "What do I look like?"

"A very," He leans against the counter and looks at the multicolored lights on the ceiling, his chin raised in the air. "Very, lonely but cliché girl in a bar."

I should probably tackle him to the floor and tell him to go to hell.

"And is that a bad thing?" I cock a brow as he turns his face to look at me.

"It's not a good thing, for sure." He says as he straightens up and grabs his blue colored drink from the counter. He downs it in one gulp and I wince internally. My pink drink is still half-finished, inert at the counter near my arm. It was sharp and sweet and I can't take more than a mere sip at a time. It's fancy name escapes my mind now.

"That's a very evasive answer," I take a sip of my drink, suddenly a bit envious of the way he can drink without hissing, "What makes you think I'm lonely? Just because I am sitting alone has nothing to do with whether I'm lonely or not."