Chapter Eight ☆

Amid the tranquil embrace of the water, jagged rocks pressed against Eliza's damp back, a reminder of the world above. She watched as air bubbles gracefully danced upwards, breaking the surface tension with their fragile presence. Her vision blurred slightly as water surrounded her, cocooning her in its embrace. It was like a surreal dream, her surroundings shifting from solid ground to the fluid depths below.

Gentle ripples passed over her, a watery caress that contrasted with her growing unease. Blinking slowly, Eliza tried to make sense of her situation. She found herself submerged, an unexpected aquatic world unfolding around her. Panic crept in as her ankles remained bound, immobilized as if by an unseen force.

An attempt to move her arms yielded no results – they were ensnared in an unyielding grip. Seaweed, sinuous and trailing, wrapped itself around her legs with an almost possessive hold. Every movement was thwarted by the constricting tendrils, her struggles mirrored by the rippling sea plants.

An urgency to breathe set in, her chest tightening in a desperate plea for air. But the very element that should sustain her had become a stifling barrier. A strand of slimy seaweed clung to her lips, smothering her mouth and nose. It seemed as if the water itself had turned against her, a sinister transformation that threatened to consume her.

With each constriction, her body responded, her heartbeat slowing in response to the encroaching darkness. As the pressure mounted and the world blurred, she could feel herself letting go, surrendering to the depths that surrounded her. It was a resignation, an acknowledgment that she was overpowered and outmatched by the merciless forces of the water.

Closing her eyes, Eliza succumbed to the watery embrace, a sense of peace mingling with her fading consciousness. The ebb and flow of the underwater world carried her away, a silent submission to the unknown depths.

☆☆☆

Eliza's eyes snapped open, her breath coming in short bursts. It felt like she'd just escaped from being trapped underwater. She flung the covers off and glanced at her legs, relieved they weren't glued together. Her fingers touched her neck, her face, her hair, trying to confirm she was back in her room. She was drenched in sweat, the cold kind that sticks to your skin.

Jared hopped off his shelf and landed at the foot of her bed. He touched her knee with his paw, like he was trying to calm her down.

"Bad dream. You're okay," Jared said, his ear twitching a little.

"Yeah, just a dream," Eliza repeated, her voice shaky.

Jared gave her a reassuring look before hopping away.

It was Saturday, the day Dawn was picking her up to head to Virginia Beach. They planned to leave early, so they could have plenty of time to shop and eat. She reached for her phone to check the time. Then headed to her bathroom to freshen up and get ready for the day.

10:00 a.m.

Even on weekends, she couldn't sleep in. Waking up late always made her feel like she'd missed out on the whole day. She squinted at her phone, the screen too bright for her eyes right now.

"Whoa, must've really been out cold, huh?" Eliza's voice broke the silence, filled with disbelief.

"I wish," Jared's response came, his tone carrying a mix of dry humor and sarcasm.

"What?" Eliza's brows furrowed, her confusion evident.

Jared blinked, clearly taken aback by her sudden question. "Huh?" he mumbled, still trying to process.