18

Re-written 06/2022

"I look absolutely ridiculous—" I stare at my reflection.

"You look amazing. Absolutely amazing." Raven smiles at me in the mirror.

"Yeah right, you will tell me anything just so we can go to this party." I look at her in the mirror hoping to see anything that would indicate I'm right. Raven squirts some hair lotion in her hand and rubs it between her palms; working it through my beach wave curls. "Oh shut up Charlotte. You know deep down inside you want to go. No matter how hard you try to deny it. You want to see him."

She is right. The guys are throwing a party and of course, they invited me, even though I haven't been staying there and pretty much haven't been coming around either. After that night talking with Vincent I needed to do what he said and not force it. The drive from home to campus has been kicking my butt and I decided to stay with Raven and her roommate Brett wasn't ideal, but neither one complained.

"I don't. Chase, the guys, and I...we just—I haven't spoken to them in a while so I don't know what is going on. You know what I think it's a bad idea for me to go. I would be a sore thumb there. You know I don't do well at parties." I give her a pleading look in the mirror.

"Just think of it as one of the cooking class's events. You're the life of the kitchen at one of those things." She jokes.

"Speaking of cooking. Did you find out who the other person is? The event is in a week and I still don't know who. I narrowed it down to three people. Caleb and Davina. These two just started to treat me differently in class and they are always so secretive." I shrug my shoulders. "Who you think?" I enlisted the help of Raven to find out whom—before the cooking contest. I rather know now than find out the day of the event.

"Me?" She wipes her hands on a towel. "Davina, she always looks like she is up to no good."

"Right." I chime in. "I'll keep an eye out for her this week." Davina has been acting pretty fishy around me lately, in class. The guilt is probably eating at her. To be honest she doesn't have anything to feel guilty about, whoever put in their application last minute doesn't. I have to come to terms and understand that anyone can apply. I just have to be on my A-game to knock this one out of the park. I just really want to know who it is.

"Ok. Now come on. I don't want to show up too late. I think Darren is coming around you know."

I stand and give my sultry Snow White outfit a once-over.

"Rave?"

"Yeah?"

"I think I should change."

"No! No, you will not change that outfit. It practically fits your real life. Don't spoil the fun in everything Charlotte." She hisses under her breath.

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not." She is starting to piss me off. I don't live at the frat house so this costume is irrelevant.

"Really? Then prove it."

I storm past her out of the dormitory, heading to the frat house. Thankfully, it's not that far of a walk. These heels are already killing my feet. I will prove I'm not a fun sucker, and I most definitely know how to have a good time. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" blares over the speakers, and the sound of werewolves howling fills the living room. The guys went all out for this Halloween party. There is a dry ice machine and mist of fog seeps out. So this is what the Halloween parties at Croakington look like. I always hear how people say they love the parties at Croakington, but the Halloween and the school's out parties are the best. If I'm still friends with the guys, I would love to see what that one looks like too.