Chapter 4 - Wrap up

Detective Locke and Detective Myers bounce roughly in their seats as their seat belts hold them in place and leave a trail of red welts across their chests. The police car kicks up dust and dirt as Detective Locke drives down the dirt road. A trail of cars is seen ahead as he pulls off to the side of the road a fair distance away. However, even from their current location, a well-kept cottage can be spotted in the distance.

The two detectives emerge from their vehicle and shut the doors behind them. The sound echoes loudly in the woods and despite all the personnel present at the scene, there is an eerie atmosphere permeating from the very ground to the very air. The detective's footsteps crunch loudly as they make their way to the shack. Something about their own footsteps causes the hairs on the back of the detective's necks to stand on edge.

A charming wood shack with a stone chimney sits directly in the middle of the woods. A pretty white stone path leads to the shack from the connecting dirt road. At the edge of the dirt road is a seemingly cute, painted mailbox in the shape of a barn house. Further inspection does not suggest that this seemly cute shack would be the den of a crazed killer. But even though the two detectives had worked as VICE and had seen plenty of gruesome crime scenes in their days, something about this one chilled them to their very bones.

A masked officer emerges from within the cottage out carrying out a sealed box. With great care, the dark-skinned officer removes the mask from his face. In a horror-filled voice, the officer sickly says, "You're going to want a mask."

The two detectives without hesitation each walk over to an officer holding out two masks. The two carefully secure the medical masks to their faces before entering the shack. The cottage itself smells of lilac and rosemary. A neat stone chimney stands in the corner alongside an iron wood burning stove that has a pile of neatly chopped wood stacked against the cabin wall.

The small kitchen holds excellent crafted wooden cupboards filled with dishes and dry food items. There are tiny hooks on the kitchen hall that hold up pots and other kitchen utensils. There is a small table for two in the middle of the kitchen with two exquisitely carved wooden chairs. To the left of the kitchen is a dyed wooden closet filled with neatly hung clothing. To the right of that is a twin-size bed with embroidered pillows and covers. On either side of the bed are small nightstands that hold more folded clothing and feminine underwear.

The final piece of furniture in the small shack is a bookshelf filled with romance and mystery novels. Nothing out of the ordinary for a young woman living out in the middle of the woods. It is so charming, that more than one officer would have found themselves smitten with the owner.

However, directly in the middle of the shack is a large blue rug that has been rolled to the side to reveal an underground entrance with a metal door opening and lock. The metal door had been removed with pliers and had long since been removed from the scene.

An iron ladder is bolted to the underground wall plunging 10 feet down below. A careless slip would lead to a nasty fall. With some hesitation, the detectives carefully climb down the metal ladder into the darkness below. Their eyes adjust to the dim light as generators have been carried down to light the basement with flashlights lightening the walking pathway. Eventually, mage lights will be conjured but the mage members of the police force are much too busy to do so now.

Detective Locke and Detective Myers follow the flashlight pathway, a haunting trail in the dark, damp tunnel. The sound of rustling grows stronger as bright lights up ahead cause their eyes to sting. The two detectives blink the tears from their eyes as they emerge into a brightly lit concrete, cement room.

In the midst, of the madness is Sergeant Judy Jensen. Officers and other personnel scurry around like ants collecting and processing evidence. Sergeant Jensen turns around to face them, carefully keeping her face devoid of emotion. "So, what did the victim have to say?" Sergeant Jensen distantly asked.