Chapter 12.3 - Midnight Visit

Much later that same night, a portly figure valiantly leads a group of thug-like men to a familiar worn-down building. The portly man intrepidly points at the building and confidently says, "There are items inside that you can steal. Destroy the shop, go wild!"

A buff man wearing loose jeans and a white tank that strains against his muscles, revealing a multitude of tattoos. "Cool," the thug said as he motions for the rest of his band to follow. The thugs carry bats and other tools in their arms to smash the store.

A confident young thug still in is teens eagerly swaggers up to the door. He takes a swing at the door and suddenly lets a howl of pain as the bat falls out of his hands and cradles his hand to his chest. The other thugs look confused like big dogs at seeing something unusual.

"What's wrong kid?" The leader asks.

The young thug whimpers, "I think it's broken," as he holds up his hand and some of the bones in his hand are slightly funny shaped."

"Phsst, move aside kid," a bald member of their ground said as he pushed aside the kid. The rest of the group snickers until the bald man lets out a high-pitched scream and collapses onto the ground. A burning smell fills the air as the group's eyes are looking a bit spooked.

The young thug quivers and says, "It's cursed I tell you! That door is evil!"

The rest of the thugs look uneasy, but they've never been one to turn down a fight. Two similar looking men step forward and cautiously approach the door. The two pause and glance at each other before running towards the door and slamming their bodies against the door.

Their bodies a thud like sound as the door does not budge. The two let out muffled groans of pain as they rub their aching bodies. "What the hell? It's like hitting bloody steel!" One of the said as the other brother nods in confirmation.

"Must be enchanted," the leader said and turns to eye the pale pudgy owner. "You said nothing about an enchanted door. It's going to cost extra," the leader pointedly said as he clenched his muscles.

The pudgy man quivers and hastily replies, "I'll pay!"

The thug grunts in acceptance as his he barks a word. Instantly the air around him seems to shimmer as his muscles bulge even more and begin to slightly glow. His crew looks impressed at seeing their boss activate his ability, Iron Body. With that ability, he was strong enough to be classified as a D-class criminal. The crew cheers as the earth pounded beneath his feet as the boss charges at the door. Before the boss can reach the door, lightning suddenly strikes the charging figure. The crew leader halts for a second when another bolt suddenly hits him again. Like a sleeping giant, his body collapsed onto the ground in a daze.

The crew gape with fear as they stare into the clear, cloudless night sky. Terrified, most of the crew flee as only a few members remember to drag away their boss and their fallen crew members. The pudgy man sputters indignantly, "Wait, I paid you!"

"You can't pay us enough to mess with that place," a crew member shouts over his shoulder as the pudgy man is left alone in the dead of night. The silence is eerie as the pudgy man trembling makes his way to the entrance. After studying the entrance for a bit, he finds nothing amiss.

Wiping the sweat off his face, he is trembling reaches for the fallen bat. Just as he raises it overhead red eyes seem to gaze at him from the door's shadows. Letting out a piercing shriek he tosses the bat to the side and runs faster than he ever had before. But even though he waddles away, red eyes seem to follow him as he shrieks runs into a police station and begins to blubber about red eyes.

The police officers couldn't find anything following the pudgy man. The chief officer thought the fat man must have been high on illegal substances. He gave the orders to lock up the pudgy man for the night and release him in the morning. Two officers drag away the shaking mess and toss the pudgy man into a cell with several drunks. The pudgy man whimpers as he curls up into a mound praying that morning would come soon. But every known and then, out of the corner of his eye he would spot red eyes. He would let out a panicked whimper, before calming down. Luckily for him, no one in his cell was in the mood for pork.