Chapter Forty-Six

"If it isn't my ugly brother," Cato's lip curls, his skin glowing with the brilliance of heavens' light. "Returned from the mortal world he loves to corrupt so much."

The Three Brothers bicker on the divine plane, separate from the mortal world and shaped from precious, ethereal silver. Kane is prostrate before the throne of his brother, Cato the Elder. He doesn't have much of a choice. Aziz stands hesitantly at their elder brother's shoulder, brushing their long hair from their birdlike shoulders. Aziz's face is beauty incarnate, eyes cut from cloth of dreams, woven with precious thread into a face that's always smiling. Pomegranate-red lips the pinnacle of sexuality, rose-print nails and hands as soft as a rose petal. And their skin, it's liquid gold, their tongue permanently singing hymns and snatches of poetic verse from those mortals who sold their souls to be inspired.

Cato, meanwhile, is a hulking, bloody set of battle scars and tattoos on the throne. His broad forehead and shorn head are equally tattooed with the small imprint of a crown. His face isn't handsome, but the power is intoxicating. He sits on the throne with his legs splayed carelessly, sitting back and showing off his power as every single muscle twitches, ready to spring into battle. His sword rests lightly on the backs of his arms, his fingers playing along the deadly blade like the pretty Aziz would play an instrument.

Kane knows from experience that Cato's hands can play along a ribcage like others might pluck a sitar. He felt it as Cato ripped into his very flesh, stealing away his eyes because he couldn't handle Kane at his best.

It was because Cato knew that Kane would always be more powerful than him.

It's why he still feared him even when he was blind. Cato might rule men's bodies. Aziz might sway their hearts. But Kane...

Kane ruled their minds. Exploited their madness. Haunted their nightmares by showing them the freaks they'd charged as outcasts and dared to ignore.

Kane smiles up at his brother, seeing with his third eye the silhouette of Cato's mighty warrior frame. "What, did you miss my pretty face, Brother Cato?"

Cato gets to a stand. Aziz wavers, curling in on themself. Even their whimpers of fear are musical. Cato walks over to Kane, still on his hands and knees, unable to get up because of his Divine Outcast status. Cato grips Kane's sharp, night-colored cheekbones between his fingers, snatching at Kane's skin until his nails draw blood. With his other hand, he passes the scarred palm gently over the Evil Brother's eyes.

Power flows through Kane's face, colored like the sharp stone hidden beneath the fiery belly of the earth. His eyes have been healed, ringed with the color of warm earth-brown, the same color as Ode's skin. Eyes that are soft.

Almost, blasphemy be damned, the eyes of those mortals he loves so much.

"Why have you healed me?" Kane blinks a couple times.

Cato's lip curls. Aziz shrinks beneath the throne. "Because, brother mine," he picks Kane up by his shoulders, forcing the towering, shadowy god to a stand, his silver hair billowing behind him like the sails of a ship. "I want you to give up this foolish war. Renounce your Champion bitch. Join me in the heavens, and rule Rahasia as my loyal servant."

"Renounce Ode Ngayoh, the only mortal in a millennium who's brave enough to defy me? The strongest warrior I know?" Kane sighs, a melancholic smile twitching on his own lips. He unsheathes a sacrificial dagger from his belt, the same kind the mad priest carried at the arena temple that Ode visited so long ago. He holds it over his newly healed eyes. "This, Cato, is what I think of your poisonous gift."

With a scream, the dagger plunges.

And the Blind God is blind once more.

***

Sorry for the late update, my Champions! 

Life has been rough lately with stress from personal, social, and academic spheres.

Hope you enjoy the Three Brothers' scene!

Best and hope my life calms down a bit,

Sophia