Chapter 4

Warning! Proceed with care!

*Vik's Point of View*

I don't know how long I stayed there, at that little park, but by the time I was ready to head home, the sky was turning a shade of blue that was very similar to Lilac. It was a soothing colour, but my mind had been made up, and the sky wasn't going to change that. No matter how beautiful it looked. Standing up from the swing that I had been sitting on for some time, I glanced down at my backpack, which was laying on the ground, not too far away. Sighing to myself, I walked over to it, slumping down beside it.

Reaching into the backpack, I pulled out my notebook and a pencil, starting to write out letters, one for each of the people I had let down, for the people I'd already hurt and for the people that I would hurt with my next choice. And, as I wrote, I let everything out. I let the emotion take over, and let my mind wander to the first time I had arrived in this town. The first people I had met, Landon and Lewis. The first time I had made friends. My first love. My first relationship. First kiss. First breakup. And then the heartbreak that I felt after. And then the, almost, rebirth that I had. Only for that too to be ripped from my grasp. And before long, I was finished. Several letters lay on the ground, the pages being slightly ruffled by the gentle breeze.

Standing up, and tucking my notebook and letter for my parents back into my backpack, zipping it closed. I collected my thoughts and the rest of the letters. I took one final glance around the park, the years had made it fade away, had made the once cheerful place feel cold, and unwanted. And I knew that it was like me in many ways. It had once been the home to joy, to laughter, to smiles, and giggles. But now, the chipping paint, rusted metal and empty atmosphere was all that was left, all that remained.

The guys ran ahead of me, chancing after one another, with their laughter filling the air, while I hung back a little, not wanting to rush like the rest. I wanted to take things slow. I wanted to test the water before diving in. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't crack my head open from the bottom of the pool. But the others, they seemed to not care. They dove straight in, they let themselves become happy, and they never let anything get in the way. But that's where the differences lay between us.

Trudging towards Lewis' home, I clutched the letters, now in envelopes with the names of each person written on the front. I knew that he wouldn't want to see me, so I posted them through the letter box, with a note attached to the front of one, asking for him to hand these to the others. And with that, I walked down the path, pain in my chest, as well as the rest of my body.

As I walked into my own house, I headed straight upstairs, as there was nobody home right now, and there wouldn't be for several hours. Reaching the top of the staircase, I considered my room, noting the way everything was positioned, and decided to change quickly. Wanting to be as comfortable as I could be. Walking towards the small wardrobe, which held all my clothes, well the clothes that I used to wear, I picked out the t-shirt and trousers that I had been wearing the day I had met the guys. The day my life had gone so wrong.

Changing silently, and then heading to my bathroom, I felt nothing. I felt no emotion. I felt like there was nothing holding me back now. Like I could finally let go. I could finally be free. And with that, I closed the bathroom door, and locked it, to be sure that if anyone did come in, which they wouldn't, then they wouldn't be able to stop me.

Picking up the blade, I slid it down my skin, feeling the sharp pain for only a few seconds, before the blood poured out of the fresh wound. It wasn't deep. Well, not deep enough. I watched the blood for a few moments. The red liquid poured out of the wound at a steady pace. Slowly, it dripped onto the white tiles of the bathroom floor. Staining them, probably. And with shaky hands, I continued to rip open my flesh, feeling the blood pour from each of the wounds, making the pool on the floor bigger with each cut. With each flick of the blade, my life slipped further and further away. Eventually I stopped, and just sat there, bleeding out. Feeling the darkness creep over me. Feeling everything slip away, until there was nothing left, nothing but darkness.

'I'm sorry,' I whispered out, letting the tears flow for the last time, letting myself think of nothing else but the colour of the sky the night I confessed my love for Lachlan. It was the same shade of Lilac. It was a Lilac Sky. Something that was once beautiful, but that beauty faded with age.

And with that I slipped away. I was gone. Truly gone.

I was sitting on top of a cliff, with Lachlan, Landon, Lewis and Simon, looking out at the town we called home. The place where we had met, where we were happy and were we could be ourselves. And began to think to the future, a future where I could be happy. A future where nothing was wrong. Where I was happy. And in love. And loved. And I could do nothing more than smile at that thought.

'What's making you smile, Little Star?' Lachlan asked, his voice soft and gentle, I turned to look at him. Pointing upwards.

'The sky. The sky is making me happy.' I said, moving closer to his tall frame, letting myself stare longingly upwards, and onwards.