twenty-three

jungkook immediately ran to the hospital the moment he received a phone call from seokjin and namjoon to hear the news he's been getting anxious over for the past couple of agonizingly long hours

"taehyung is awake," seokjin announces, a small beam probably stretched across his face just by the prominent enthusiasm in his voice. 

those words were the only words jungkook needed to hear at the moment. 

he threw open the doors to the hospital, hurriedly skipping steps up the stairs and not minding a single bit when he almost tripped multiple times. the drumming of his heartbeat in his ears combined with the pounding of his head barely fazed him as he reached the floor with taehyung's assigned room, seeing namjoon and seokjin at the end of the corridor conversing with a doctor. 

he hears jin saying a grateful, "thank you, doctor lee," before the two hyungs finally noticed a third person's arrival. namjoon took in jungkook's wrecked appearance and out-of-breath state and smirked, muttering a low 'whipped' underneath his breath.

"where—"

"he's been waiting to see you, kook," seokjin simply interrupts, gesturing to the door behind them as namjoon nodded with a genuinely wide grin, dimples on full display. 

jungkook didn't need to be told twice.

thickly swallowing the growing lump in his throat, he moved his hand up to the door and prepared to knock but stops. was he really ready to face taehyung after everything that happened? was he really ready to remember the dread he experienced when he saw taehyung being vulernable, and when he saw jimin's lifeless body on the floor in front of him? 

was he?

however, jungkook gets pulled out of his thoughts by a light shove on his back, not enough to make him fall down yet enough to make him stumble forward. whipping his head around in confusion, he sees seokjin standing with folded arms and an unamused expression, almost like he's running out of patience. 

the ravenette sighed and glanced back around to face the door. yes, he thought, inhaling a huge breath that ended up coming out as a shaky huff. yes, i'm ready.

twisting the doorknob in his clammy palms, he slowly pushes open the door and instantly feels the air being knocked out of his lungs. 

there taehyung was, all bandaged up and sitting on the bed with his head turned to the side as he gazed out the large window next to him, a half-hearted smile on his pale lips forming whilst he watched the giggling kids play around down in the hospital courtyard. 

how can you still look so gorgeous even after going through so much?

jungkook decides to knock on the door to announce his presence, which unintentionally caught taehyung off-guard. the elder jumped in his bed in alert before visibly relaxing at the realization that it was just jungkook.

"hey," the younger boy breathed out, beginning to take slow tentative steps towards taehyung. 

"hey," taehyung softly responded. he blushed as he noticed that his hand was already instinctively reaching out for jungkook's. "thank you for coming," he said, not flinching away the slightest bit when his slender fingers fit themselves around jungkook's still rather sweaty hand.

"of course," jungkook says back, heart swelling in his chest as he sees taehyung not pulling away from his unideal grip. "how are you feeling, tae?" he queries again for the second time today, this time expecting an actual honest answer from the somewhat clearheaded taehyung. 

"good. could be better but," taehyung trailed off with a frown. "i'm good, especially now that you're here."

jungkook couldn't stop the chuckle that came out of his mouth at the other's surprisingly flirtatious words. unfortunately, the minimal laughter quickly died down as taehyung asked the question that jungkook currently did not want to hear the most.

"what happened to jimin?" taehyung then took note of jungkook's fingers unconsciously tightening around his smaller hand, his eyebrows furrowing together, and his shoulders tensing up stiffly. "kookie, please tell me."

jungkook was quite shocked at how unperturbed taehyung sounded. but he couldn't bring himself to answer that question, not when he knows that a loud sob will rip out of him the second he tries to speak. 

"jungkook, look at me."

so jungkook did.

and he sensed his entire body freezing at the beautiful brown eyes that stared right into his own. 

"i—" the black-haired male's voice cracked straight away. nevertheless, taehyung started running a hand through jungkook's dark locks in a calming attempt to usher him to carry on. "your fa- kim daehyun, he was about to k-kill me so j-jimin-hyung, he-he tried to—"

taehyung didn't need to listen any further, already concluding what has happened to his best friend just by jungkook's painfully stuttered out reply. "it's okay, kookie. it's okay to cry, alright? chim's strong, he won't die without putting up a fight," he whispered while opening his arms to bring jungkook into his embrace. he didn't know where this odd surge of confidence came from but didn't think much about it when his heart tightened suffocatingly at how the younger's body continues to shake with every choked sob that comes out. 

suddenly, in the confines of the room's white walls and a pair of soothing thin arms, jungkook felt a lot smaller than taehyung.