Chapter 35: Eogan and Fionuir

I know, it's taken awhile to update. My grandparent's health continues to be touchy with my grandfather (who will be 90 in Feb) actually being hospitalized with the flu. He's doing well and is currently in rehab with an expected release this weekend, and he's actually looking pretty good at this point.

Also, one of my dogs - Sasha - who was the model for the Sasha in Dragon Touched, passed at 13 due to advanced cancer in December. Her pic is above with the other two pups behind her. All of them are rescues, and no, I didn't intend to have three dogs at once - it just sorta happened. lol

Anywho - I'm actually doing pretty well at this point and I'm not mentioning any of this to make anyone feel bad or to try to introduce any kind of drama. I just wanted to explain why I've been so MIA all at once, rather than one at a time. :)

Now onto the story!

fyi - I realized I didn't add this last little snippet with Eogan to the previous chapter as I'd originally intended. Oops! Anyway - it's now the beginning of this chapter. Better late than never! lol

================================

Eogan paused on the edge of the clearing, staring at the figure before him. A figure he recognized.

Betrayal burned through him, but not surprise. No, he'd lived too many centuries, seen too much to be surprised by much of anything. Instead he merely felt his own sense of failure not to have recognized the truth before this moment.

"No! I will see into your mind!" his quarry shouted, attention clearly elsewhere as Eogan strode forward, gathering his power to strike the man down in his moment of distraction.

*********************

Lucienne felt Michael's power gathering, preparing to strike. He was very deliberately drawing out the moment in order to hide his full strength and leave a lasting impression. His face was stony and calm, but the naked fury in his solid gold eyes showed his true emotions.

She glanced at the gathered Hunters, noting that Michael's people were making it more than clear the group needed to stay back. Fortunately Weston had given the order to stand down, and even Cooper and his group seemed to realize there was no possible justification for Brianna's actions.

They all knew if the Hunters interfered, they'd violate long standing agreements across both the vampire and shifter worlds. At the very least, they'd lose rights and access that had taken them decades to put into place, at the worst, they'd trigger an all out war against the Hunters.

"No," Brianna half muttered. "How do you still have control, your mind should've been fried..."

Those words enraged Lucienne beyond all reason, and if she were a vampire, her fangs would be out and she'd be hissing right now. Brianna knew about the attempt to destabilize Michael, maybe even had a direct hand in it, and she wanted nothing more in that moment than to attack.

A strange hand on her shoulder woke her up to the fact that she was half out of her chair. She looked up to see Kate holding her back, silently shaking her head. Only the fact that Lucienne respected the quiet and reserved woman made her take control of her anger. The moment she did, Kate gave her a small smile of understanding and removed her hand, tilting her head at Michael.

Lucienne turned, and realized her Ruach was splitting his attention between her and Brianna, and the last thing she wanted was to be a distraction, even if Brianna was completely outclassed. She settled for sitting back and glaring at the woman while Michael prepared to finish this.