03: A Meeting Early In The Morning

Class was extremely boring as I sat in the back-corner of the classroom.  I twirled my pen in my hands as I fought to keep my heavy eyelids open.  Two days into school and we were already starting intensely dull and way-too-hard classes. 

I feel like the only reason why everyone at school isn't failing is because their parents pay the teachers to boost up their grade.  This school had so many ways to get money out of school families.

I glanced around the class to see Kyle in the middle of the classroom.  Even though he sort of started a fist fight the day before, no one was really paying him attention.  It was like he was getting a lot and very little attention at the same time.  

To be completely honest I was staring at him during most of class.  I could only see his backside, but he was filled with so many mysteries his backside was enough.  Through his dress shirt, if I paid enough attention, I could see he was very fit, with much larger muscles compared to the other boys in my class.  His blonde hair was casually brushed, and it wasn't messy or neat.  It didn't look like he just rolled out of bed but it didn't look like he spent hours working on his hair in the morning, like my brothers, either.

It was strange.  This new kid, who was really different from everyone at Lockwood Academy, was suddenly in my life and it seemed like I was the only person who was interested in him.

I wanted to get to know him, uncover the secrets under his protective shield and unwavering eyes.

When class ended, I ran over to Kyle, who was somehow already out of the class even though the bell just rung.

"Hey." I said, walking alongside him.  Wow, he was a fast walker.

He raised an eyebrow, though his expression didn't change.  I assumed he was a little surprised...but I couldn't understand what else he was feeling.  Did this boy not have any emotions?

"So, about yesterday, you don't have to worry about those guys.  They were just being morons."

"I know." He replied.

I bit my lip.  "Uhm, okay, well, how are you liking Lockwood Academy so far?"

"I hate it."

I frowned.  This guy was totally unsocial and kind of an asshole.

"Okay, I can understand that.  But the park is nice, isn't it?  In the spring, the tulips are just—"

He suddenly turned on me with his arms crossed over his chest.  "What do you want from me?"

For a second I was speechless. "Uh, nothing!  Just trying to be a friend."

"I don't need one."

My mouth thinned into a straight line.

"Well, neither do I, but it's nice to have one." I said quietly, and for a second looked into his eyes.  They were a bright green with flecks of so many different colors I couldn't possibly list them all.  It was probably wishful thinking, but I saw his eyes—his protectful, guarded eyes—look ever so slightly regretful.

I sighed softly and turned around.

I had completely walked off when I realized I completely screwed up.  My plan was to get to know Kyle, and he probably didn't want anything to do with me.  He might have regretted being harsh to me (even though that's a next to nothing chance), but in the end he got me to go away.  

I groaned.  Getting to know Kyle was going to be much harder than I thought.

What was with him anyway?  Why do I want to get to know him so much?