66. Embers and Ashes

Warning:

"Everything will end in embers and ashes."

"Some people are ignited by the fire, Lindsey Knightley, while some are burnt by it

"Some people are ignited by the fire, Lindsey Knightley, while some are burnt by it..." she sighs.

"I am so sorry that you of the latter..."

Just as she whispers the words, the light from the cracks start burning like a shooting star.

But not the kind of that you wish on.
The kind of star sent to burn the devil.

Meredith's taunting shadow looms over me-- a blissful grin on her face.

Gran...

"Are you all right, love?"

"Of course, I am. Perfectly, I just thought..."

My teeth press into my lower lip-- almost spilling blood.

"I know you're not, love. No need to pretend in front of Gran."

No need...

Suppressing a groan, a hand of mine supports my tumbling weight while another wraps around my waist.
Heavy sighs strike both my cheeks.

Meredith pays attention only to the suspended material of her sleeves.

You're showing... Showing HER!

Another arrow plummets into my chest. One that can't be seen by anyone but Meredith and me.

"Perhaps, it is time to admit that you are in pain for more than a few moments, Lindsey."

My left hand slips-- making me fall-- but my elbow then supports me.

"Emotions are so very fatal..." Meredith starts circling around me like a vulture.

I give her a glance-- while my hand places itself below my collarbone without thinking.

Just as the stainless arrow withdraws itself, my body shrieks as if electrocuted.

Snatching my arm away, my eyes look back and forth in between the small shattered pieces of glass and ashes...

"Do you really think that blonde chipling is anything more than a mere parasite?"

The accident... silence louder than words... Allie wrapping her arms around me...

"Alone you never shall be..."

Meredith flicks an arm at me.
"Look at yourself. You're in a worse state than I was."

I keep looking at the ashes... They're shimmering...

Embers...

Meredith squints her eyes at the embers, but decides to fold her arms behind herself.
"Look at what my affections for Henry did to me." Her folded arms now flick at her body. She gestures to her pallor.