Running

I woke up groggy and sore the next morning. After that dream last night sleep had not come easily. I was surprised that all the details from the dream were still completely vivid in my memory.

I was just rolling out of bed when Kane banged on my door. My wolfy senses were getting better, I knew it was him because I could smell the pine through the closed door.

"What?"

Apparently that was interpreted as a come in, because he barged inside with little preamble. I debated on being embarrassed over the state of my bedhead but then thought fuck it because who cared what Kane of all people thought.

"Get up, get dressed. Something comfortable. We're going for a run."

"A run?"

"Yes a run. Half of fighting as a wolf is stamina. Many times you will come across a fighter who is just as skilled as you are and the one who tires quickest is the one who loses."

"Okay, fine, whatever."

I wasn't going to argue with him. Running I could do. Hell I could run all day if it meant I didn't have to try and change into a wolf again. He stood there expectantly.

"Get out so I can change?"

"Oh, right. I'll be in the hall."

God sometimes men were stupid. I got up with a stretch and began to rifle through the drawers of the dresser. I was still unfamiliar with all the things Elise had gotten for me. I was fortunate to find a sports bra, a tank top and some tight black leggings. I pulled them on and tied my red hair into a bun. I glanced in the mirror expecting pale freckles, but I actually looked like I had gotten some color recently. Maybe a better complexion courtesy of wolfy genes?

"Okay I'm read-" I paused catching Kane with his suspiciously close to the floor, "So watcha up to there bucko?"

"Don't refer to me as 'bucko' ever again and I was making sure Sierra had obeyed my orders to keep her distance."

"Wait so you were actually smelling to see if she had been at my door? How do you remember what everyone smells like?"

I could perfectly recall Kane's scent, but I didn't know the reasoning behind that so I was keeping it to myself.

"Your wolf side keeps a record of every scent that comes into contact with your olfactory bulb. Scents that you smell more often are much easier to recall and place. I can identify every one of my pack members by smell alone. Soon you will be able to do the same."

I didn't plan to be around that long, but I didn't contradict him.

"Question, what about smells that you were familiar with as a human but haven't had a chance to smell since turning?"

If I could smell Jason coming then I would have a huge advantage.

"Theoretically those scents should be familiar to you, so you would recognize them, but you might have trouble placing them because of how much more evolved they would be now."

"Hmm interesting," Kane was about to comment but we had reached the back door and I was done talking about it anyways. "So where are we running at? Is there a track out here or something?"

"You're looking at the running track," Kane replied with a wolfy grin.

I frowned because the only thing I was looking at was the forest.

"Oh you're serious. Great," Maybe if I sprained my ankle then he wouldn't make me run with him again.

Kane walked to the edge of the woods and pulled his thin t shirt over his head. I swallowed loudly, trying not to stare at the sun shining on his golden brown chest. He bent down to touch is his toes and I sat down in the grass to do some stretches. I relished the pull of my tight muscles as I reached forward touching my nose to the grass between my outstretched legs.

"Alright, you ready?"

I stood gave Kane a grin, then I took off. I bolted into the woods, not slowly building up my speed, but running full out. My body was full of new unspent energy, and being outside made me want to push myself to the limit. I marveled at how fast I was able to push myself. I weaved in and out of the trees smoothly jumping over bushes and rocks with ease. I laughed, but the wind stole it away as I kept running. I felt wild, and I liked it.

I didn't hear Kane, but I knew he was a silent presence behind me, letting me enjoy myself and have a little fun. I don't know how I could tell but suddenly I knew he wasn't behind me anymore. I didn't slow down, but I listened hard. He was coming up on my left side. I smiled. He jumped, and I ducked and rolled, laughing as he sailed over me. I lay on the forest floor catching my breath.

"How did you know where I was?"

"I could hear you."

"Cassie, that's impossible."

I shrugged. I wasn't gonna argue. He could figure it out for himself. I stretched feeling relaxed and sleepy. Running had been more fun than I was expecting. Kane sat beside me a thoughtful look on his face.

"You were very fast and in tune with the forest for a new wolf who has yet to change."

"I've always liked running, and I spent a lot of my childhood playing in the woods behind my house. I'm comfortable out here. Nothing bad has ever happened to me in the forest."

I closed my mouth quickly afraid of what I might let slip in my languid state. Kane glanced at me out of the corner of his eye but didn't ask any questions I wouldn't answer. He seemed to be learning. I had closed my eyes when I felt him tense up beside me. I sat up quickly and looked over at him.

"Something is wrong."

Before I could process what he had said he was off like a bullet. I scrambled to me feet and took off after him, my stomach in knots. The look on his face was terrifying. I don't think I had ever seen Kane worried like that. He didn't slow for a second but I managed to keep up. He was running harder than he had earlier and I realized he hadn't been pushing me, but letting me set the pace.

We were halfway back to the house when I heard howls. The hair on the back of my neck rose and Kane snarled viciously. Something told me those weren't his wolves.