Cheating The Deck {27}

***Jack's POV***

                "So what exactly happened to your knee?" dad asked.

                We were sitting at the table in the kitchen, having settled down with chips and beer. I was still embarrassed that my parents had caught me tonguing Ace, but so far, they hadn't brought it up.

                "Hydroplaned into a ditch. The car is fine and so am I," I said with a shrug. "Some friends helped me get it out of the ditch."

                Mom pursed her lips. "You didn't call us to tell us."

                "Because I knew you'd freak out and drive down here to check on me," I said.

                "We deserve to know when you get hurt like that," she tried.

                "It's just a cut. I'm fine, mom," I said.

                "The knee injury was the only injury?" dad asked.

                I nodded and he leaned back, letting the topic drop. He didn't overreact about things as much as my mom, which was a nice balancing act.

                "So you and this Ace boy..." mom said.

                I held up my hand. "Stop right there, mother. I understand you saw a scandalous situation earlier, but we're not dating or anything. It was just a kiss."

                "Just a kiss?" mom asked, raising an eyebrow. "You've been calling me about this boy."

                "Okay, so it was more than just a kiss. But it's not like I'm screwing the guy or making plans to go get hitched and live together in the mountains," I said. "We're not dating or friends with benefits or anything like that."

                I gripped my beer uncomfortably. I so did not enjoy having this conversation with my parents.

                "Jack, didn't you say the frame of your bed was cracked? Can I go look at it? Maybe I can fix it," dad said, standing up. He was trying to give mom and I alone time to talk, but I really didn't want it.

                "Yea, sure," I said, knowing I'd never win this battle. Sooner or later my mom would trap me alone.

                Dad went upstairs and we heard my door shutting. Mom turned her gaze to me, waiting for me to speak.

                When I didn't, she started the conversation instead. "He seemed like a nice young man."

                "Because he's a waiter and in order to make tips he had to learn how to act like a nice human being instead of an insecure asshole," I said.

                "Jack," mom scolded. "Stop that."

                "What? It's true," I said. "Kid has daddy issues like you wouldn't believe. Mommy issues, too. I think his whole family was just screwed up."

                "It's not his fault if he was born into an unstable family. Some children are traumatized by the way they grow up," mom said, frowning.

                "Oh, Ace is traumatized alright," I said. I let out a sigh. "But I guess he's trying his best."

                I then proceeded to tell my mother what had been happening with Ace, leaving out the part about him and Delaney being fuck buddies.