Chapter 12

Third person pov

"Uchiha-sama." 

Suzaku Nara landed in front of Fugaku, looking grumpy as usual. He, like most Nara men, was rather lazy. Of course, he couldn't deny an order directly from the head of the clan. Suzaku couldn't get the look of contemplation and distress on Shikaku's face out of his head. The man had clearly been troubled. Going to find Fugaku Uchiha was the least he could do, even if he wasn't totally sure what was going on. It didn't really matter. After all, this wasn't any of his business. 

Fugaku stopped, his back straightening at the sight of the man. "Nara-san." Fugaku eyed the clan symbol on the man's shoulder. The ninja grunted in response, looking close to yawning. "Your son, Sasuke, is at our compound. Main house. He's with Shikamaru. Apparently they're friends." Suzaku scratched his chin thoughtfully. Although he'd never seen Sasuke and Shikamaru together before, anything was possible. 

Fugaku immediately stiffened at the news, nodding soberly. His eyes turned to steal. He was guarding himself, Suzaku noted. Something was going on here, and from the looks of it, it wasn't good. "Thank you for informing me, Nara-san. I'll head over right away." Fugaku promised, keeping his face as straight as he could. Suzaku nodded, gave a short bow, and then was gone again. Fugaku let out a sigh, but prided himself in keeping his composure during a time in which no father should have to. 

"Itachi!" He called, turning around. Itachi leaped down from a top the building he'd been on, shaking his head. "I don't see him." He told his father dourly, his head down as though he'd failed a test. As though him looking from on top of a building would have revealed Sasuke. "I know where he his. Come, we must go to the Nara-clan compound." Fugaku's announcement made Itachi flinch. "The Nara's? Why is Sasuke with them?" The teen questioned. Fugaku didn't answer, instead jumping onto the rooftops. Itachi followed, but didn't ask again. It was evident now that he wouldn't be getting an answer, and that was probably due to the fact that his father didn't know the answer to his question. Fugaku Uchiha didn't like knowing. If nothing else, that's one thing Itachi was sure of when it came to his father. 

They weren't far from the Nara's compound, and with their speed, they made it there in no time at all. It wasn't hard to spot the main house. It was in the center near the front: the first residential house in sight. Itachi immediately headed in, not even bothering to nod to those he passed. Fugaku walked speedily after his son, gaze set forward, and his stride strong. His back was rigid and he radiated power. The few Nara clansmen and women that were out all averted their gazes, and didn't dare to question why the leader of the mighty Uchiha clan was here. It wasn't any of their business, anyhow. Surely, Shikaku would deal with it if it was truly an issue. After all, he was the leader of their clan.

"Right this way." Yoshino seemed to have been waiting for them, her brows pulled together with clear worry and slight-fear. "Sasuke?" Itachi questioned hopefully. "That's right. Apparently something happened last night. Shikamaru was with him." Yoshino bit her lip. Fugaku tensed. That's right, and so was that jinchuuriki boy, Naruto Uzumaki. The son of the fourth Hokage, who was apparently one of Sasuke's good friends. Subjected to something like that... It was absolutely disgusting, even if Fugaku didn't have any particular interest in the blonde boy. All he could feel for him now was pity, which had replaced the slight-repulsion he'd felt towards him before.

Itachi knocked hurriedly on Shikamaru's door. Shikaku was standing outside of it patiently, his arms folded, and his face twisted with thought. He was clearly having an internal debate. Fugaku decided it was best not to bother him until the man was done processing his thoughts, instead approaching Itachi. He'd never seen his level-headed son so distressed. Clearly, Itachi had been in shock when he'd heard the news of what happened, and now that it had processed, he wanted nothing more than to be with Sasuke. Fugaku's heart clenched, but he didn't allow it to show outwardly. His son... his poor, five year old son, who had never done anything wrong in his, so far, short life. To do something like that to a child...

"Sasuke, it's me." Itachi knocked on the door. Fugaku could feel two chakras inside, one clearly Sasuke's, and the other presumably Shikamaru's. "Sasuke." Fugaku's voice was stoic as usual. Itachi looked up at Fugaku with large, sad eyes when he gained no reply. "He is not answering." Itachi's voice was weak. "Open the door." Fugaku demanded quietly, folding his arms over his chest. He wasn't sure what else to do with them. Part of him wanted to hug Itachi, and to tell him that things would be okay. But he couldn't do that. He had a reputation to uphold, in front of his sons, and in front of a fellow clan-head. 

"I've already tried the knob. It won't budge." Shikaku spoke up just before Itachi could tug the door open. The prestigious teen turned towards Shikaku with clear anguish. "Can we break it down?" He pleaded. Fugaku set a hand on Itachi's shoulder. "Now, we will not be breaking down any doors, Itachi." He gave his son a sharp look. Itachi ignored him, staring at Shikaku with wide eyes. The Nara stood up straighter. "You know what happened then?" He asked, his eyes flitting between the two. Fugaku's eyebrows raised. "Shikamaru hasn't told you?" Fugaku questioned. Shikaku shook his head. "No, but he was acting oddly this morning. Like he couldn't look Yoshino and I in the eye." Shikaku scratched the nape of his neck. 

"You don't think it happen to him too, do you, father?" Itachi turned to Fugaku, horrified. "No. Sasuke would have mentioned it in his story of the... Cantaloupe Happening." Fugaku grimaced, his teeth grinding, and his fists clenching. "I heard that's what they were calling it... is it bad?" Shikaku looked to Itachi for an answer. Itachi was more full of emotion than Fugaku was, and for this, would give the more accurate answer. Fugaku was almost too level headed to deal with things like this. But Shikaku had met Itachi. Right now, he was extremely out of character, unlike his father. Itachi's answer would be the truth. 

"Nara-sama." Itachi's voice was uncharacteristically heavy. "It's worse than you could ever imagine."