Chapter 26

Chapter 26

City Girl's POV:

By seven o'clock, all three boys were dressed and ready to go for dinner. As Harry gave me the keys to the car he normally rides around in — he somehow convinced Dave he didn't need to come for security reasons — I tried not to dwell on just how good Harry looked, though that was close to impossible. He was dressed in a simple black button down with sleeves rolled to the elbows, exposing some of the tattoos decorating his arms, black jeans and shiny boots that most likely cost more that my entire outfit put together.

He looked gorgeous.

My own outfit consisted of simply a black sleeveless blouse, white pants and black flats, a light jacket on top to shield me from the chilly weather we were experiencing. Next to Harry, though, I don't think anyone could look that good. Trying to keep my thoughts straight, I got in the driver's seat of the car with Harry next to me and Louis and Niall in the back, before starting up the car and heading down the road. It would take half an hour to get to my brother's home in New Jersey, so Harry had plugged in his phone to the car so we could listen to some music during the drive.

A few minutes into the drive, Louis piped up from the back, "So Vera, how exactly did your family react when they found out your new friend was the Prince of England?"

Harry scoffed from next to me as I laughed, slowing the car down as we approached the Lincoln Tunnel. "My mom was about two seconds away from passing out," I informed in an amused tone as I recalled her reaction, thumbs tapping on the leather steering wheel as I continued, "But my brother and sister-in-law haven't met Harry yet, but they were also obviously really surprised." With a grin, I added, "But my niece is pretty fond of him."

Perking up next to me, Harry's eyes landed on me as he practically exclaimed, "Oh, I'll see Felicity again!"

I laughed lightly, fondly, at the genuine excitement that seemed to glint in Harry's green eyes at the thought of seeing my niece again. Returning my attention to the road, we finally entered the Lincoln Tunnel, traffic running smoothly as I drove. The boys asked me some stuff about my family which I was more than happy to answer, and when they asked about my father, my grip on the steering wheel tightened and I had answered with a vague, "He's not in the picture," and they thankfully dropped it.

But even as the conversation continued with a lighter topic, I could feel Harry's eyes on me after the question about my dad, and it was then when I realized that Harry knew nothing about my father. He was someone I didn't talk about, obviously, and he never pried, and every time conversations surrounding our families would take place I would only talk about my mother, brother, his wife and daughter. Telling anyone in general that my dad was in prison for possession and selling of drugs was humiliating enough, but telling Harry was beyond that. Not just because he was a prince, but because I liked him a lot and didn't want his opinion of me to change.

And I knew that was unfair. I was being unfair in just assuming that Harry of all people — easily one of the most accepting and kindest people I have come to know — would judge me because of who my father was. As if I had any choice in the matter. But I had yet to tell him of my dad's whereabouts, and by the curious glances I was suddenly receiving, I knew Harry wanted to know but didn't want to pry, which I was grateful for. Eventually I would tell him, but only once I had the courage built up for it.

We reached my brother's place about fifteen minutes after we exited the tunnel, and I pulled up the car in the driveway behind the three cars already parked there belonging to the residents of the house. Hugging my coat tighter from the night's chilly air, I led the boys up to the porch, ringing the doorbell and trying not to bounce on the balls of my feet because of the cold.