Chapter 36

I wake up, feeling like Hulk grabbed my body and swung me all over the place. I grimace as the full wave of pain really kicks in. I look down to see an IV tube running through my right arm and another tube on my left. I'm laid on a really uncomfortable bed. 

Turning my head, I see Rob still fast asleep with similar tubes running through his arms. Unlike me, he seems blissful, a look I haven't actually seen on him in a long time. 

Obviously, I can tell we aren't at a hospital. We are in a small, makeshift hospital tent of some sort. I assume that my pain meds are not working anymore so I grumble in annoyance as I try to figure out where I can get some. There's nobody in the tent but Rob and me so I don't know who to ask for help. I have a lot of questions buzzing in my head.

I sigh in relief to see that I'm in a clean set of clothes, and I stumble to get out of bed. I fall right on my face as my legs forget how to move. 

"Fuck." I groan as pain shoots up through my nose. I steadily get up and use the bed for support, but I feel too lightheaded and fall. Using the wheelchair folded in the corner, I manage to sit in it after some complications. I roll outside and the warm, but cooler air caresses my face. Night has fallen but lots of light are turned on to show a bunch of men bumbling about. 

I watch as multiple men dressed in black speak to my father very seriously. Multiple helicopters and reinforcement of some sort have arrived, but they are taking inventory among other things. 

"You shouldn't be up," My mother's voice makes me look around. She walks toward me with a somber expression.

"What happened? Is it over?"

"Yes. It's finally over." My mother says. 

"That's it?" I state. 

"What do you mean?" She asks curiously. 

"It's just so...so anticlimactic."  I frown.

"Did you just say anticlimactic?" There's a faint tone of disapproval in my mother's voice before she controls her emotions. 

"Sorry, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to." I realize how my words must have sound so I immediately add on. 

"Where's Uncle..Sky?"

"I don't think you should see him."

"I want to. I can stomach it."

"No, now is not the time." She states firmly.

"I will see him whether or not you think it's best." I state just as firmly. Watching one another carefully, she finally relents as she leads me to a tent and stays outside. "I'll wait here."

I step out of my wheelchair and steady myself. Slowly, I enter the tent and the door flap closes me off from the world. There's a very dim light and I can see the body lying on a cot. I gaze sadly at the black blanket covering Sky's still body. 

Trembling slightly, I reach for the cover on top of Sky. 

"Don't," My mother stops me. I jump a little, surprised at her presence. 

We head back outside silently.  Some people approach my mother with some papers in hand. She turns her attention towards them. I walk away as she is distracted by those official-looking documents. 

I head towards the opposite direction of the campsite. With so many people ambling around, I need some space away from people. I end up finding myself standing on top of the roof once more and looking at the dark surroundings. Grabbing a cigarette from one of the packs I swiped from a guard, I light it and inhale it deeply. I hated cigarettes but once in a blue moon, I will smoke one.