Chapter Eighteen: What is a Monster

Hello everyone, another update because I feel horrible and I've caught up on comments you guys left. Jesus, I feel like an ass, but I'm glad you guys like the story so much and the characters. I really appreciate that. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter eighteen: 

What is a Monster

The night felt warm and tasted of salt on my lips. I was a bit worried since Daisy and Unicorn boy haven't come back home yet, but I decided to push the worry out of my mind and tried to focus on the fact that a bunch of werewolves were trying to kill me. The crimson sun began setting and when it disappeared under the ocean, the chair on the opposite side of me became occupant by Abe. A bunch of vampires crowded around one large table near the back that I noticed, but none of the faces really registered in my head except one human girl among them. Drake stiffened next to me.

"Abe, I need to talk to you about this werewolf pack that keeps attacking me," I told him as I folded my arms over my chest, "and the funny thing is that they always seem to know when I'm alone."

Drake made a comment about how werewolves were powerful, cowardly humans in fur.

Abe frowned with his fingers twitching which made Drake stiffen before Abe said in a calm, cold voice, "Then there's someone talking to the werwolves. Someone on my side, or it could be one of the humans in that little group. You do realize that they've been causing a good deal of trouble for our world."

I nodded. "I know, I figured it out when a faerie portal in the ocean started to put on traps because they kept stealing things."

"Yes, so now you're in the group?"

I nodded even though I wasn't a hundred percent sure since I felt there was a thick invisible wall between them and me. They were so scared and so filled with hatred about faeries and anything that wasn't human that they blinded themselves to a lot of things, but sometimes I wondered if I had been like that before I met Drake.

"It could be someone from the group," Abe said as he straightened the jacket of his Italian suit, "but I have a few suspects of my own that I'll deal with tonight. I suggest that you, Drake, don't leave her side until we find the culprit."

"You're not going to destroy them all or something?" I asked even though I have never seen a werewolf and a vampire fight, but I'm pretty sure that it was never pretty.

"That'd be asking for war which means a good chance of exposure to humans which I'm sure you don't want...." he stopped and looked at me, raising an eye brow as he got up and straightened out his suit before slicking his hair back. I'm pretty sure he was changed in the thirties when that look was popular. "Correct?"

If people knew... 

"Matty, stop dreaming. Such thoughts are foolish," Drake warned me as his hand slipped into mine and gave my fingers a painful squeeze.

I shook my head as if waking from a dream. "Of course, I don't want people to know or to get hurt."

Abe eyed our locked hands. "Ah of course not, but wouldn't that make things easier for you?"

"Shut up, Abe. Will you please just figure out what is going on?" I asked him. "Now, is Ari getting-"Abe pointed at Ari as he finished his song and jumped off stage. "Uhm, never mind. Ari, you ready to go?"

"I'm more than thrilled," Ari said as he rolled his eyes.

Abe smiled. "Good, now I'll see all you later, I hope. Now, I have some business. I'm sure you know Henry is here, Ari."