A Narrow Miss

Over the next few days I continued attending school. Even if Stefan knew who I was, I still had to blend in. However, the fact that Stefan knew about me, meant that by extension Elena did too. Aswell as Bonnie Bennett, Caroline Forbes and even my History teacher, Alaric Saltzman - who apparently hunted vampires. Stefan told me that I could trust these people. And I trusted him. Although I had to admit, having a few friends in this Town could never hurt. The Founders Council still hunted for Vampires in secret. This meant that they were clearly just as suspicious and untrusting as they were in 1864.

One night, Elena invited me to her house. She was curious, apparently. When I arrived at the front door it was a boy who opened. One I didn't recognise. His brown, floppy hair was messy. He seemed rather embarrassed when he saw me standing there, as he was in pyjamas.
"Elena!" He shouted. I guessed she told him that I was expected. "Your friends here!" He finished, smiling at me as his face reddened slightly.
"Ooh blushy, I like you" I teased, making his face turn even more crimson, before holding out my hand for him to shake. "I'm Grace". I stated, smiling at him.
"I know, I mean, I'm Jeremy... Elena's brother". Despite his obvious awkwardness, I noticed that he didn't invite me in himself. He knew. Strange how Stefan didn't tell me about him... Luckily, Elena came down the stairs before things dragged on too long. She invited me in. That was a good sign at least. Stefan must have told her to trust me too.

We talked in her room for hours. She asked me about how I knew Katerina or "Katherine", which is what she had been going by. I didn't lie, of course... I just left out some minor details. I told her that we met whilst she was human, and that she betrayed me. I even told her that I betrayed my own family for her. Yet, she used me and abused my friendship. That didn't seem to surprise Elena however. I told her that Stefan told me that they were "fake fighting", due to her threats. Me being let in on this seemed to surprise her, but she didn't question it. She did however ask how I knew Stefan. Apparently, he was tight-lipped to her on the situation; "wasn't for him to say", all she knew, was that I knew Damon first. I told her that this was true, but that I hadn't seen him in over a century, and wasn't planning on doing so any time soon. She didn't pry on that subject thankfully, she was understanding. I felt a connection to Elena somehow.  I trusted her. Having the same face as an old friend, perhaps.

Over the next few days I managed to speak to Bonnie again aswell. She seemed friendly, yet still apprehensive. According to Stefan she was wary of Vampires. Understandable, for a witch. She told me that when she shook my hand, she saw something. She dodged me on the 'what'... Yet, she claimed that if Stefan trusted me, she would too. The blonde one - Caroline - was there too. She was cute. She laughed when I told her that I nicknamed her "hurricane blondie", and apologised for rushing past me on my first day. I found out that she was a vampire too. Apparently a new one, which was surprising... newbies tend to have less control. She seemed perfectly relaxed, which was entirely unexpected. I also managed to speak to Alaric after class on the Wednesday, he was another apprehensive one. Yet, he seemed friendly enough, or pretended to be.

I saw Alaric again the following night. He was at the bar of the local 'Mystic Grill'. He was the only face I recognised, so I decided to pull up a seat next to him.
"Ooh, what's with the frown?" I said teasingly, before waving the bartender over. "I'll have whatever he's having" I said sweetly, pointing with one hand to Alaric, before passing over a bank note as my other arm propped up my chin.
"Oh, you know..." Alaric responded flatly, finishing the remainder of his previous drink. "...Psychotic vampires, friendly vampires" he nodded towards me, smiling slightly "and now werewolves apparently" he sighed.
"Never a dull day in Mystic Falls" I said wryly, just as two drinks were placed in front of us. I grabbed the glass and sipped it. "Bourbon huh... good choice". I smiled, before turning around on the stool, elbows propped against the bar. "What brings my Vampire Hunting history teacher to a bar on a school night then?" I questioned.
"Uh, Damon asked to meet me actually, y'know, Stefans' brother?" I tried - rather unsuccessfully - to appear unfazed at that. "I... used to" I responded simply. I received a disbelieving "hmph" from the man next to me, evidently he noticed my discomfort. "We go a long way back..." I sighed, "...too long to still be concerned with, trust me".
"Ah... I'm sorry" Alaric responded awkwardly, clearly catching my meaning. I smiled at him thankfully, he sounded like he understood, in a way.

It was then that a figure came in through the main door. Shit. Just the person I didn't want to see. I wasn't ready for this. He was wearing a leather jacket, dark hair longer than I remember it being. Damon was absentmindedly heading towards the bar, not yet noticing me or Alaric.
"And that's my cue" I muttered aside, before swivelling back round on my chair and taking a large gulp of my bourbon, feeling it burn slightly as it went down. I got up quickly and headed out of the side door of the building. I couldn't. It was too soon. I leaned against the wall, catching my breath before heading back to the motel I was staying in, completely unaware of the conversation that occurred at the bar after my departure:

As Damon headed towards the bar he noticed two figures sat side by side. Alaric, and a girl. The girl wore a red leather jacket and had brown curly hair, that swept across her face as she stood up to leave, clearly in a rush. Even Damon knew this was odd, as he knew Alaric was seeing Jenna. He watched the girl leave quickly through the side exit... Strange. As he neared the bar, his signature smirk began to play on his face.
"Who was that?" He paused, eyeing the half-empty drink on the counter.
"A student..." Alaric started, taking another sip of his drink. "...Do you know a Grace?" he enquired curiously. Damon sat himself on the seat next to him, picking the glass up with one hand and inspecting it absentmindedly.
"Doesn't ring any bells" he shrugged in response, before turning to face the man next to him. "Ooh, what's with the frown?" He asked, seeing the perplexed look on Alarics' face. It practically screamed: "are you serious?!" Damon took a sip from the glass in his hands, his face wrinkling before he swallowed, letting out a slight laugh. "Huh... Bourbon, good choice" he noted, eyes trailing to the door that the girl just left through. Alaric still wore a confused expression, Stefan told him that Grace knew Damon in 1864... surely if she remembered him, he would too. The conversation quickly moved on, Damon was planning on capturing Mason Lockwood. The Werewolf. This could only mean that trouble was ahead.