Chapter 24

11:49 was blinking in the top corner of the screen of his laptop as he sat waiting. He was trying to focus on the task at hand but he just couldn't. All he wanted was to know her answer. Where would she want to go? What would she want to do?

Every time his phone buzzed he would look at it anxiously, hoping just hoping that it would be her. It wasn't until the last minute however when the message he received, was actually from her.

He excitedly brought the phone to his face and read the text.

'Dear James,

After long consideration, I sadly have to say that I couldn't come up with a place... So instead of me chasing a location and activity, I propose a new idea. (Since I did say I'd go out with you)

You come up with something, anything you think I like. Just tell me what I need and where to be and I'll be there.

I hope I can trust you,

Elizabeth'

A smile crept upon his face as he read the message. This meant that the ball was in his court again. He dialed the number on his phone...

Elizabeth had welcomed the early weekend as she left the building at around 12:30. A smile crept upon her face as she walked into the light of the fall afternoon. The smile however faded when James invaded her mind.

What would he come up with? Did she make a mistake by letting him chose? She sighed as she walked down the street. Her eyes were glazing over as she just walked, not really paying attention to the world around her.

Sure he had been nice to her. At times. I mean it wasn't like he had been the perfect gent to her. It was strange the mood change towards her. The painting was still in the back of her mind as she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

Without really paying attention to the road in front of her she took out her phone and unlocked it. The background picture of a rose fading into her text app.

A car honked, bringing her attention to the outside world again as she noticed that she had walked through a red light. Whilst saying sorry she stepped back and put her phone back into her pocket. Maybe New York isn't the best place to not be paying attention to the traffic...

As she walked onward to her building she quickened her pace as her curiosity to the text grew and grew.

She said a quick hello to Wallace as she ran past him and up into the elevator. With surprise clear on his face as she did so. He yelled a quick hey back as he turned his head to watch her run into the elevator and slam the button of her floor.

Once up in her room she quickly closed the door behind her and set her bag down on the floor. Without paying attention she hung up her coat, which promptly fell down, but she took no notice as she walked over to the couch.

She sat down as she unlocked her phone and stared down at it, curious as to what he would say...

'Dear Elizabeth,

I have decided that our little 'trip' will be a surprise. All I want you to bring is your toiletries, anything else you'll need will be taken care of...

I'll pick you up at four...

Love,

James.'

Elizabeth sat there as she re-read the message over and over again. Her brows furrowed as she realized what she had gotten herself into...