Lollipops - Chapter 18

Boom!

Naomi set her trunk down with a pang that may as well have broken the old, creaky wooden floor she stood on. With a heavy sigh, she closed the door behind her, slowly and tiredly allowing herself to walk deeper into the house.

It'd taken her three hours to walk from Kings Cross Station to her house. Never mind that, but it was mid-Winter, resulting in very cold, shivery weather.

At the pace of a sloth, Naomi hung her jacket up on the coat rack, and removed her boots from her feet. Then she looked around.

The small house could've been mistaken for a shack, with the way it was secluded and tightly spaced.

Without even walking further into the house, Naomi could sense the feeling of uselessness and unproductiveness. As usual, Naomi saw many things to represent that the house was not being taken care of well, such as stinky clothes scattered on the floor, crushed and empty soda cans left on the floor, and an unidentifiable liquid poured out onto the floor. Naomi knew that these were clear signs of her father neglecting to take care of both himself and the house he lived in.

With a shameful sigh, Naomi dreadfully worked her way deeper into the house until at last, she found herself in the living room, which was even messier than the hallway. Empty packs of chips, pizza boxes, and fast food restaurant bags were found on both the couches, table, and floor.

In the dark, resting in the centre of the undeniable mess, was her father, whose eyes were closed. His head was leaned at an awkward position that was bound to give him a sore when he woke. Snores escaped his slightly opened lips, and although the television was on, no one was watching it. Naomi caught a glimpse of the talkshow that was on, before she walked over to her father and gingerly picked out the remote that was loosely held in his hand before turning off the T.V.

Now, it was completely dark, but with a swift motion, Naomi treaded over to the light switch and flicked it on. Even though the lights were dim and weakly flickered, her father woke up with a jolt.

"Wh-What?" He slightly yelped, his voice croaky from being un-used.

Naomi blatantly ignored him and walked over to the pile of dishes in the sink. Examining it, she noticed that the pile was terribly high. From it emitted a nasty, rotten smell that made Naomi grimace, purely and utterly disgusted.

With one last shrivelling glance, Naomi turned away from the dishes and shuffled to the snack cupboard, despite knowing that there wouldn't be any food in the fridge. To her dismay, only empty packs of sugary snacks stood in the cupboard.

Before she was able to dwell further upon the disgusting condition of her house, Naomi was disturbed by the croaky call of her father.

"You're back." Not even excited, or confused. It was just a statement.

Naomi swivelled around. While doing so, she caught a glimpse of a stack of envelopes lying on the table. Naomi already knew that they were the monthly bills that her father couldn't afford to pay off.

Putting her attention back to the matter at hand, Naomi directly faced her father, who was now sitting up and staring at her from behind the couch, his piercing blue eyes meeting her's.

"Yeah, I'm back. No thanks to you though," she addressed his statement, and at his confused look, said, "You forgot to pick me up. Again."

"Oh," Rodrigo Serdeys said, blank and dumb.

Without anything else to say, the man gave his daughter one last glance before his head lowered once again and his nap was resumed. Naomi scoffed in disbelief before leaving the kitchen and making her way back into the hallway.

She angrily yet disappointedly grabbed her trunk and without further ado carried it upstairs, purposely making sure that it banged on the stairs so as to disturb her father.

She walked through the upstairs floor until she made her way into the room that was claimed as her's. Once she lightly set the trunk down, she switched on the light and looked around. Her bed was still freshly made from before she'd left to go to Hogwarts, and to her satisfaction, everything in her room was still in order, just as she'd left it. Naomi's room was probably the only clean one in the house.

Her white desk held a neat and small pile of books, and other necessities, such as tall and sharp pencils, and thin and crisp hair ties. Among the things on the table was a small, framed picture. The photo consisted of a family of three, each beautifully and admirably happy. There was a dad, a mom, and a little girl in the picture, who was no more than the age of five.

The mom had her arm tightly wrapped around the man who was viewed as her husband, a genuine, bright and gleaming smile resting on her lips. The husband himself seemed to be caught mid-laugh, in the midst of his happiness, while his daughter simply sat atop his shoulders.

Even though Naomi was only five at the time, she still recalled the event clear as day. Her and her family were sharing a lovely picnic at the time, and there seemed to be nothing able to prevent their happiness and love shared among one another.

Naomi stepped closer to the picture, now very fascinated. She looked at the beautiful woman, taking in her appearance. The silky, golden hair, the lovely, kind smile, the big, adorable dimples, the deep, brown eyes. Naomi sighed, feeling depressed. Oh, how she very much missed Dominique Serdeys; her mother.

It seemed silly, but sometimes, Naomi liked to pretend to pause her life, and rewind back to that very moment; the moment at the picnic. It'd be hard to believe, but back then, everything was, in Naomi's eyes, perfect. Because, back then, Naomi didn't have cancer yet. Back then, Naomi's father had a real job. Back then, the Serdeys family had no financial problems. Back then, they lived in a clean, comfortable home. Back then, it wasn't a struggle to get a full three meals.

Although, back then, when Naomi was six years old, everything was perfect only because her mother was still alive.

————–

Hello my peoples. Does anyone have any good movie recommendations? I'm really in the mood for one right now. But never mind that, because I'm going book shopping in five! Can I get a whoop whoop?

So, in this chapter, you get a lot of insight on Naomi's family. In the next chapter I'll actually dive deeper into the subject of her family. This chapter was really just a bit of an introduction to her mother and father. Also, for clarification matters, Naomi's mom is not alive, so don't go getting confused.

Has anyone watched either 'It' or 'Happy Death Day'? If so, please tell me if they're scary or not, because I'm going to watch both of them with my friends, and I really want to know if I should bring my headphones and a blindfold!

QOTD: Favourite subject?
AOTD: English.

Thank you for reading, and have a great day!

Love,
     Manny