56| REASONS WHY

At the sound of Sam's voice, she turned her head to look at him. He was leaning against the doorframe, his right hand was holding the outer handle of the door and his left was probably holding the wall outside, in the hallway, as he poked his head into the room. It was a surprise to see him standing there, she was nothing but rude to him after all. She had assumed that she was the last person he wanted to talk to, especially as he was the last person she wanted to talk to, majority of the time. Callas sighed, leaning over to the taps to turn the water off before she sat back. She had her knees drawn up to her chest and her arms resting weakly on top of them as the warm water seeped into the material, and she rested her back against the wall. She picked at the damp fabric, glancing at Zeus as he laid down in the bath, not minding that much. Sam walked in, closing the door behind himself before he sat down opposite her, with his back against the counter under the sink. His left leg was bent, resting on the ground, while his right mirrored hers. He leaned his left arm along the rim of the bath and watched her.

"Nothing makes much sense to me anymore," she admitted, scoffing quietly. "I don't know if it ever really will."

Sam stayed silent, noticing her bottom lip quiver just before she bit down on it harshly. Sam nodded his head, absentmindedly. "No one expects you to be alright with this," he told her. "It's okay to be upset."

"I'm not upset, I'm..."

"What?"

She shook her head. "I don't know what I am. I just don't know."

"You can take as much time as you need. We aren't expecting you to be automatically ready to deal with everything. We don't expect you to be anywhere near okay with this life. You're scared, we get that, any normal person would be. None of us expects you to handle this like it's nothing. None of us did when we found out about this life. I'm sure Reed had told you that."

"Great, because I'm not exactly Buffy the Vampire Slayer, am I?"

Sam nodded his head, for once being shocked that she wasn't being spiteful, only a teenager who was scared. "No. You're not."

Callas pulled her arms towards her body, feeling the—once—warm air from the steam being sucked out of the room, through the open window above the bath, and replaced with the icy chill from outside. Her dark grey, short-sleeved, band shirt wasn't doing much to keep her warm either, especially with water soaking into it from where the shower head left water along the rim of the bath, that she leaned against to wash Zeus. She, loosely, wrapped her arms around herself, looking at the laces of her boots. Sam breathed out deeply, still watching her closely as she brushed her hair back with her hand before running the same hand down her face in exhaustion. Zeus lifted his head up to the sound of Sam sighing and rested his head on the rim of the bath, staring at Sam. He stared back at Zeus, raising his hand to pet his head gently. Callas still stayed staring at her shoes, moving them an inch as she began to lose feeling from where her bent legs cut off circulation.

"Reed wants to talk to you, when you're ready, of course," he spoke up again, slowly taking his eyes away from Zeus.

She nodded. "Yeah, I know."

"But I also think you should talk to Embry at some point about all of this."

Callas moved her gaze from her boots to him, looking at Sam through her eyelashes. "My life just got a whole lot more complicated with the fact that I now know vampires are real, and my friends and very own brother are able to phase into wolves. So, I don't really want to confront Embry with the whole 'eternal damnation because of a soulmate link neither one of us asked for' thing."