Chapter 33

"America!"

The loud screeching that was coming from downstairs echoed around the palace and caused me to pull away from Maxons lips. I chose to pretend like i didn't know who the voice belonged to and laid against the bed.

"Don't ignore me!"

I sighed.

Maxon smiled and kissed my forehead. "If you just talk to her she might go away."

I tried to continue kissing him in which he gently pushed me away.

"I was without you for like a whole 2 weeks. I deserve recovery time," I whined.

"You chose to go away."

"You told me to go away!" I yelled, glaring at him.

"Because you said no," he reasoned.

"I said yes the second time!"

His expression softened and he kissed me gently. "Your right."

"America!" Delancy screeched followed by loud pounding on the door. "You better be decent in there because I'm coming in."

Maxon wrapped his arms tightly around me as Delancy forced open the door.

She fumbled into the room before straightening herself up elegantly. "Oh good your here," she says smiling as if she hadn't just been trying to unhinge the door.

I rolled my eyes as I tried to sit up but was pulled down by Maxons arms. I just shrugged because you know...who wouldn't want to be in his arms.

She invited herself in and sat on the edge if our bed.

"It's 8:45 on a Tuesday. Shouldn't you be in school?" Maxon observed.

"Shouldn't you be asleep instead of kissing!" Delancy shot back.

"Touché."

"Besides...we're not learning anything important. And this is urgent. I didn't know who else to come to!" Delancy explained desperately.

I hesitantly removed myself from Maxons embraced. "What's going on Dela?"

"I've gone from single to in multiple relationships in a matter of seconds," Delancy sighed, sagging down into my bed.

"What do you mean? I thought you were dating Prince Mason from Dakota. You two have been together almost as long as me and Maxon."

"We have! And I love him. And he loves me so much that he proposed!" Delancy exclaimed like it was a tragedy.

"Oh my god! That's Amazing!" I congratulated her jumping off to hug her

She pushed me off. "No, it's not."

"What do you mean? How could you not be happy?! You said yes, right?"

"No," she spit at me. "I said no. Something you have experience with, if I recall correctly."

That stung a bit. I pursed my lips and gently reached my hand back towards Maxon. His hands clasped around my own.

"Why?" I whispered calmly.

"Because my mom and dad have arranged my marriage. I've known since I was a child, but I never thought they would actually do it," Delancy admitted. "But when I returned home for the winters ball a couple weeks ago, I was introduced to to Prince Daniel of Zuni. My future husband."

"That's terrible," I whispered.

"I couldn't imagine having an arranged marriage. I could barely stand the thought of having a selection. Good thing I got out of that one. It's not like I would ever find a wife through a selection any ways," Maxon agreed.

"A selection would of been better than this!" Delancy cried. "James and Kenna tried to change their minds. So did Viveca and May, and the whole firing squad. But my parents are adamant, and there's nothing my real or in-law siblings can do about that."

I gently took Delancys small hand into my empty one. "Did you tell them about Mason!?Did you tell Mason about the arrangement!?"

"No. I just don't know if even another love interest will change there minds. I'm already engaged to Daniel and secretly dating Mason. The worst part is that Daniel was funny and charming, and I felt like by giggling at his jokes that I was betraying Mason. I don't know what to do!"

"Take a deep breath," Maxon said from behind me. "Ask yourself a few important questions. Or in better words let me ask you some important questions."

Delaney inhaled and exhaled. Allowing her eyes to gently flutter shut revealing the glittery blue eye shadow.

"What do you love about Mason?" Maxon asked. "Not just his humor, or 'scrumptiousness' as you put it last time we spoke. What do you really love about Mason?"

A smile graced Delancys featured. "The way he rubs his thumb against the back of my hand when I'm nervous. And how his eyes crinkle a little when he laughs. Or how he always kissed the tip of my nose when he greets me..."

I smiled and looked back at Maxon. I loved him for all of those reasons and more.

Maxon continued. "What do you dislike about Mason?"

Delancy frowned a bit. "I mean he is a little bit of a flirt, but as long as he saves that mostly fur me. It's okay."

"Okay..." Maxon nodded along. "What do you dislike about Daniel?"

"He's not Mason," Delancy breathed out before her eyes popped open. She pulled herself to her feet and ran to the door. Before she left she poked her head in. "I've got to go tell someone I love them."

"His is that going to solve anything?!" I called back.

"I tell him than I deal with my parents. Because he comes first. Always," with that she ran.

I smiled and turned back to Maxon. "where were we?" I asked reaching up to connect my lips back with his. I had barely dug my fingers into his golden blonde hair before there was another knock on my door.

I groaned and sat up, leaving Maxon behind. "Come in!"

A maid rushed in and handed me a letter on a silver platter. She blushed, squeaking out a quick your majesty to Maxon before Siri to my out the door.

I rolled my eyes because of my bad mood and sliced open the envelope with my finger nail. A photo fluttered out of the envelope and down to the floor. I inspected it and realized it was a snapshot of one of Mays painting. A platinum blonde girl with two boys, on one knee, on either side of her. Proposing. It didn't take me long to realize that it was a painting of Delaney and her possible suitors. I flipped over the photo and read the note written in black sharpie.

I heard about Delancys dilemma. I have a plan

-May