Chapter 25: The Mermaid

I felt like I was in the middle of a fictional world that could only be found in an adventure book. It felt so unreal and I almost could not believe that I was seeing such impossibility that defies all the engineering idea in the mainland. I was sure that any pirate who saw me had seen a child with pure amazement and wonder in her eyes. It was like a kingdom in the middle of the sea. It was like magic.

But the enchantment brought by the Pirate City was shortly gone when I felt different pairs of eyes in my direction. I blinked and looked around the pirate ships that surrounded the grand vessel in the center. The pirates on their deck were looking at the Obsidian – they were looking at me. Someone immediately grabbed my arm and pulled me back to the entrance of the pirate ship. I looked up to see an angry Owain full of sweat on his neck. He must have been working when he saw me.

"Did he not tell you about staying in your cabin? Did you not know how dangerous the Pirate City is for you?" He asked, fuming.

I couldn't answer right away. It must have been weeks already since he wanted me dead and out of Obsidian. And now, he was telling me about the dangers the Pirate City could bring me. If it was during the day he almost crushed my neck, he would probably lift me up and threw my body to the staring pirates of the other pirate ships. But right at the moment, I was just glad that he didn't.

"It was unbelievable! How could they build a community in the middle of the sea? What about the storm? The sharks? The sea monsters?"

Despite the anger, I could see in him, I couldn't help but feel the excitement instead of fear. I found myself curious about the Pirate City.

"They can move this city to a safer location in case of a strong storm. No sea monsters. We are the sea monsters and the sharks fear us. But that's not the point here, Jonah of the Obsidian. Did the Skull not inform you about the monsters of the Pirate City?" He sounded more irritated.

I frowned. "Well, he did. He even told me about the mermaid, and it's not really that interesting at all." Really, Prim. I bet you're curious about her. "But what do you mean monsters of the Pirate City? Are they like the sea monsters I've read about?" I was not yet resting the case of the sea monsters.

I could see the veins showing on his temple due to frustration. He must have felt like he was talking to an innocent child who was fascinated by the new world she was seeing regardless of the danger it brings.

"The mermaid! Of course! That's exactly the reason why we came back here. And how could you speak of the mermaid like you aren't even affected by the idea of it?"

I clenched my fists on my sides. I didn't want him to know how badly I wanted to punch something whenever I hear about the mermaid. I didn't want to show him how angry and sad I was.

"B-Because I wasn't!" I lied.

He gave me a stern look and said, "You know you're not so good when it comes to lying."