CHAPTER FIFTEEN - A Tearful Farewell

A week had passed since Renegade was born. Grace had been taking care of Henry's stomach and cleaning the house but she was home now because Timber had managed to regain her human form, though she was only able to hold it for three hours at a time, most of which was spent packing with Renegade wrapped up in a scarf on her chest. Her shifts meant it was time to feed Renegade, who had just started attempting to open his eyes and wandering outside of the makeshift den when he was free even though he couldn't see. He was beginning to sniff out Timber and squeak when he wanted attention, or if he wanted to snack between meals. He was an active puppy and he liked to play with his mother while Henry was at work. As soon as Henry came home, Renegade would follow him around with his nose.

Since Renegade was born, Henry had been spending more time in his new wolf form while he was home. He found it refreshing to experience what Timber did when she was in her true form. While Henry's true form was still human, he found more and more that he preferred being a wolf. It was easier to understand Renegade when he became vocal. He had always been able to communicate with Timber while she was in her wolf form because they understood each other's body language but in his wolf form, he was able to understand exactly what she was saying.

It was an unusually quiet Thursday afternoon in the Santelli household. Renegade had come down with a small fever but Timber was not worried so she put him by a fan and continued to help Henry pack while the growing puppy slept. They were packing up the closet when Henry spotted a clothes bag in the back he hadn't seen before.

"What is this?" he asked Timber, as he pulled it out. Timber's face lit up.

"That's Frank's," said Timber. Seeing the confusion on Henry's face, she continued. "Frank was a friend of mine who fought in the second world war. We both had PTSD and we had both seen death. We only knew each other for a day before he died but he came into my life when I needed him most. When he died, he left me his uniform, and Emily and I each got a bit of money for college."

"That was generous of him," said Henry.

They were leaving for Haven the following day and neither of them were looking forward to leaving everything and everyone they loved behind. Timber and Henry were in human forms, putting the last of their belongings in boxes. They had already found renters for their house and Lord Frost had given them lodgings inside the castle because of Henry's Lord status. Timber had raised no objections because the castle was impenetrable and therefore, the safest place for Renegade. They taped down the last box and Timber sat down on the steps and looked around as tears filled her eyes.

"I thought we would grow old in this house," said Timber sadly.

"We will," said Henry, sitting down beside her. He grabbed her hand and she rested her head on his shoulder. "We're only renting it out and Ashley and Justin are not going to destroy it. I did tell them they could paint the second bedroom for the nursery but they're not going to do anything else. This is still going to be the home where we turn into giant prunes." Henry sighed. "I didn't want to tell you before because you were so happy when Renegade was born. Lord Frost told me that problems are arising in Haven again."

Timber lifted her head and looked at him.

"But you will be able to stop it," she said. "You're a Wolf Lord."

"It's not with the werewolves, though every single one that had been in the other sectors are being moved to ours for their own safety and because I'm going to be there. Part of my role as Lord is to protect the werewolf population. The problem is with the vampires. They're attacking werewolves, freely and openly defying Lord Frost and the other Highers. Dracula had been found responsible. He hasn't broken free, but he's controlling them mentally the way he did with Sebastian. Luckily, your aunt found a way to prevent it from happening to him again."