Chapter 25: Full Recovery Needs to Be Hidden

I slept the whole night through, and then some. People around the house found it odd that I hadn't made a noise, and came to check up on me. I was amazed they left such a critical patient alone for even a minute, and wanted to ridicule them, but didn't. They probably thought I was dead since my chest rose only about twice a minute, and I exhausted the amount of people looking after me.

They were stupefied and relieved to find me perfectly fine, better than what they thought.

I was perfectly calm, leaning on the headboard while reading some book I had found in the room.

My limbs weren't as thin as they had been before, face not as shallow in the cheeks. I smiled like a little angel when they came in, finding me as healthy and glowing as the day I was born...or not, since I died upon birth. You get the idea.

It's a miracle she's alive...

Thank Jelke the royal physician and high court magician happened to be here...

The Church will be getting a lot of heat for the pain they caused the de Libellule family...

Earl will not let this go...

But that little girl, she is amazing for pulling through...

Yeah, she must be one of those people, someone blessed by the gods, to be able to get through something that horrible...

It was like Goddess Tiyana decided to come down and grace me herself, they said...

Pfft, yeah right. She was a particularly nasty one according to Olei-san's recordings, someone I didn't want to meet.

I stood up on top of the bed, feet bare as I stumbled across the tangled sheets and covers. I hopped off the mattress to land gracefully three feet down. The bed was as tall as me, not including the banisters that reached the high ceiling or the drapery that made it look like a solemn princess bed. I walked with a new force in my step, feeling lighter than before as I waltzed up to Mother, hands behind my back. I tilted my head and looked up, eyes apologizing for everything she had been through so far. I knew it probably didn't look as good as I thought it was, with water stains soiling my scant clothes and my unruly hair sticking up everywhere or smushed to my face.

Mother's eyes had dark rings beneath them and there were constant tear stains on her cheeks, hair thrown up in a messy ponytail and clothes in disarray.

"Mother," I started in a light voice, one that made the surroundings feel surreal. Everything about me seemed to have changed after becoming a Vampire.

Living, remember? Not a regular. So of course I wasn't afraid when she went to touch me; I knew I wouldn't feel like a dead person.

She fell to her knees and sighed, gently eclipsing me in warmth that I seemed to crave now. Her hug encompassed me and her hair was like a blanket. The outside world couldn't see me anymore.

"Daughter," Mother whispered solemnly, reminding me of the first time this happened. I had just woken up from the coma a month ago, and she decided to throw me into the sky right afterwards. I had hoped she wasn't like that this time, seeing as I was worriedly dreaming about it all night.

"Father," I looked up from beneath her curls, digging my way through with my nose so that I could see him.

"Daughter," he leaned down next to Mother and clapped her on the shoulder, making her realize I would stop breathing soon.

"Mother, I get that you love me and all, but I don't want to experience another death. The first few ones were enough."

"There's enough near death experiences here to last a few lifetimes. I think we've had too many moments like this..." Mother sighed, pulling back while brushing my hair.