20s

" What is this?" Caroline asks in pure disgust as we enter the room, a huge smirk grows across my face, but then it deflates again knowing that I will be forced to attend this dance, if not by Caroline then by Rebekah

"It's the decade dance. Remember, you made us sign up to help?"Matt says, staring at me longingly. This will be awkward, giving that I haven't spoken to Matt since he tried to kiss me at the Mikaelson ball.

" No. "Caroline says firmly, picking up some fancy thing" This. The 20s. We're doing the 70s."

"Too flashy, people. It's supposed to be speakeasy, not the World Fair." Rebekah says, causing me to snicker, Caroline elbows me in the ribs.

"Ah, good, you're here. I need help setting up the tables so, get to it." Rebekah says as Caroline approaches her. "Evie you can help me."

"What do you think you're doing?" Caroline asks her slowly.

"Somebody has to be in charge" Rebekah says as if it were obvious.

I lean over, resting my hands on my knees, trying to hold in my laughter so I don't get a famous Caroline bitch slap, Rebekah smirks at me.

"Yeah, me. I'm the chair of the Dance Committee. The theme of the decade dance is the 1970s." Caroline sasses back, I sigh as Matt stops what he is doing to come over to us.

"So, you'd rather dress in tacky colours with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age?" I try to compose myself.

"Maybe we can do both decades?" Matt suggests.

"No." The barbies snap in unison.

"Go on, Matt, don't be a coward. You know you loved my 20s idea when I presented it to the group" Caroline turns to look at Matt who just stays quiet.

"Traitor!"Caroline snaps.

" Bell bottoms and disco? I don't know, this just seemed cooler." Matt says, hanging his arm over my shoulder.

"Whatever. Have fun at your stupid dance." Caroline snaps, walking out of the room grumpily as Matt follows behind her.

Great, that leaves me to do even more work...

_________________________________________________________________

I sit in the back as Matt drives me and Rebekah to the mansion, I sit, texting Hayley, my secret best friend while they talk.

"Here we are. Home, sweet, home." Matt says, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Okay, spill. Why are you being nice to me?" I open the door, stepping out and leaving them to converse.

I walk into the house, hoping that Klaus is still in, instead, a female stands staring at the fire place as Rebekah also comes in. Hastily, she vamp speeds over to the woman and pins her to the wall by her throat.

" Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now." Rebekah snarls aggressively.

" Because I'm dying." Esther breathes out.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"How are you dying? I thought Ayana preserved your body with a spell." Rebekah asks, unwillingly releasing Esther from her choke hold.

"She did. I'm drawing my power from the Bennett witch line. When Abby died the connection was severed. So my body has weakened." Esther replies... I don't buy it.

"Well, if you've come to spend your last moments with your loving daughter, prepare to be disappointed. You should have spent less time plotting my death" Rebekah shrugs.

"Is that what you think I've been doing on the other side? I've been looking over you for a thousand years. Of joy and heartbreak. Your fights with Klaus, the nights you cried yourself to sleep calling out my name. Not a day has gone by that I wasn't right there with you" Esther says as I discreetly try to pull out my phone to call Klaus.

"And yet you still tried to kill me." Rebekah says, her voice breaking.

"Because it shouldn't have been a thousand years, Rebekah. No one should live that long." I slide my phone away, hearing Klaus's foot steps already enter the house.

"But I haven't lived at all" Rebekah begins to sob.

"I'm sorry, Rebekah. I'm so, so sorry. Evie" She turns to look at me, shaking. "Please take care of Niklaus."

Esther takes Rebekah's hands and starts to shake. She falls to the ground, dead. Rebekah kneels down next to her. Klaus enters the room, his arms snaking around my waste.

" What's going on? "Klaus asks, only now realising the situation.

"She's dead."

___________________________________________________________________

I sit in the Salvatore boarding house, already wearing my pyjamas.

"That's a little gratuitous, don't you think, Stefan? I would have been more gentle." Klaus says as I lean my head against the arm rest.

"I'm gonna take him to the caves. You're gonna go inside and fetch me the stake and if you think you're gonna hide, you're wrong." Rebekah says, leaving with Alaric.

"And then there was one. I know about your brother's little mission to Denver. He failed. Not that that's news anymore"Klaus says, smiling as I hold back a yawn.

"So, what are you gonna do now, Klaus? You gonna kill me?" Stefan asks. Casually, Klaus sits down, pulling my body into his lap, I lift my head, leaning it against his chest rather than the arm rest as I trace his hands.

"I haven't actually decided yet"He replies, shrugging.

"Aww, sure you have. See you've had every chance and every excuse imaginable to do it, but yet you haven't. Which means you don't want to." Stefan says, looking at Klaus's easy, loving position with me, probably wondering how Klaus is capable of showing anyone love.

"You know something, you're right. You see, I'm still waiting for my old friend to come back. By the looks of it, he's just beneath the surface. Waiting to come out and play. Isn't that right, Ripper?"Klaus says smugly, squeezing my hand gently.

" I've been fighting that part of myself, thinking that if I repressed it then it would go away. But it won't. And now that I've accepted it, it can't control me. And neither can you. So, unless you're gonna stake me, why don't you get the hell out of my house?" Stefan then leaves the room as Klaus places a kiss on my forehead.

___________________________________________________________________

nnajnjnnvnnjvnnjwejnjnvnqvnjknnjvnjawkvnknnvknaeknsvjnjnejnvjnjnjnvjndjnvjnjnvjnjjnvnjevnjnevjnenjejnvnjjnnnjkevjdjviijajivjaioreihbhp WIJHOHFH IIERIJJgjiej

-S.E

S.E