Two: Shield

It was only fifteen minutes after the last bell rang, but the corridors were already quiet. Most of the students who were still at school were now taking part in their club activities which have just started. The only person walking through the empty hallway was [Name], who preferred to stay longer after the lessons and wait until everybody leaves, just not to rush with the others. She was holding some math books in her hands, the bag hanging on her shoulder. She was planning to go to the school library to study in peace until she could be sure she understands everything. Also, she had some homework to do.

She sighed and lumbered into the depths of the corridor.

[Name] was sitting over her notebook, thinking hard about the problem in front of her.

If x was three point five and y was eleven point twenty one then z would be...

Agh, it was really difficult, though she wasn't bad at maths.

Surrendering, she slided on the backrest of the chair and closed her eyes. She tried to clean her mind from useless thoughts, but instead she ended up thinking about them even more.

Almost everybody in her class joined some club. She also wanted to do it, but she couldn't. Exposing herself to other people was too dangerous for her; no, it was better as it was now, when she stayed away from others just to be sure she wouldn't repeat the mistakes from her past and avoid the pain they brought.

Damn, after so much time she should be confident about her ability to reject others, but she was still afraid that the shield she created so carefully would break at some point.

That somebody would break it.

"The answer is twenty two point seven", she suddenly heard the voice coming from behind her, and feeling the warm breath on her neck, she shrieked and jumped up, moving away.

"W-what?! How long have you been here?", she asked, panting.

In front of her was standing a tall, chocolate haired boy.

"Hm... five minutes?", he said, a wide smile on his face.

"No way!", [Name] exclaimed and widened her eyes.

Agh, she shouldn't have outspaced in a public place. Did she look strange? Was he making fun of her? Why didn't he say anything until now? What should she say? Why was he-

"Just kidding, I was coming back from the gymnasium, because the practice has just finished, when I saw you here, so I decided to say hi", he laughed and suddenly made a serious face. "But the answer is really twenty two point seven. I remember having problems with it as well when being in the first year".

The girl blushed and closed the notebook with a wave of relief.

"I didn't have problems", she pouted.

"Yeah, I guess so. After all I've heard you're the best student in your class", he said as if knowing such things about his underclassmen was normal for him.

[Name] blushed hearing the compliment but at the same time a suspicious expression appeared on her face.

"How do you know that?", she asked warily. She knew she wasn't popular among her classmates, let alone other students, so how would such an information get to the most popular guy in the school?

"It's a secret", he said with a mischievous smirk.

The girl raised an eyebrow but she didn't inquire anymore. She was curious but she decided not to think about it or otherwise she could get a wrong idea about the way others viewed her. It was better for her to stay uninformed than to let the expectations overflow her mind and leave her disappointed.

"I see", she replied as indifferently as she could and stood up, grabbing her bag from the floor. "It's time for me to go", she added and headed towards the exit but the boy's voice stopped her.

"Wait, that's not what I wanted to say", he said.

The girl turned around, surprised. What else could he want from her?

"So?", she asked and ditched her bag on her shoulder once again. She got nervous talking for so long to him. It was rare for her to have a conversation which lasted longer than two sentences or so.

"About yesterday-", Oikawa started, scratching the tip of his nose awkwardly.

[Name] jolted as if she got a light shock.

"It's nothing! Never mind! Just forget about it, okay?!", she spit a current of words in a speed of light.

No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't hide her red face from surprised Oikawa. She was even more embarrassed about it than him, even though she wasn't the one who's been seen half-naked, and that made the boy relieved and amused at the same time. He let out a small giggle which made [Name] pout.

When Oikawa came to his senses he decided to use the situation to his advantage. He took on a flirty face and moved closer to the girl, so that the space separating them was less than half a meter. She took a step back but the wall stopped her.

"You're cute when you're blushing", he said with a lower voice which sent shivers down the girl's spine. Nervously, she moved her eyes on the ground.

I want to go, I want to go, I want to go, she repeated in her thoughts panickily. She wasn't used to being this close to anyone, especially a boy.

"Sorry, I have to go", she said as calmly as she could but a quake could be still heard in her voice. She turned towards the door, but Oikawa blocked her way with a hand which he braced on the wall next to the girl's face.

"You're really withdrawn, aren't you?", he continued and moved closer to her, lessening the gap between them even more. The small figure of the girl was completely enclosed by the tall boy but to his surprise she didn't blush anymore. Instead, her face became gloomy and she lowered her head.

"Oikawa-san, let me go", she repeated quietly. Her voice wasn't offensive; it sounded rather like a helpless request.

Oikawa stiffened for a while, surprised by [Name]'s behaviour. It was the first time when a girl didn't fall for his antics. Moreover, he felt a little bit as if he was being rejected in a way.

He looked at the girl who suddenly seemed smaller and more fragile than before. What was going through her head? Why did she suddenly seem to be sad?

Slowly, he pulled down his hand, creating a way to go for the girl.

Without a word, she left the library.