Chapter 66

Content warning: Mature content

In the modern high rise of Dublin city centre apartment, the blue eyes crinkled as he lightly threw ball to his son. His son's grey eyes which were replica of his mother's widened and Yousef pouted, "That's not fair Daddy." Yousef was fast at catching the ball for a four year old but it seemed his father was an expert when it came to ball games.

Daud smiled, "You can do better. C'mon." He threw the soft ball again, "Let's see if you can catch this."

Yousef jumped, literally flew in the air to grab the ball. The ball landed in his arms but he fell. His head hitting the corner of the coffee table. A loud wail escaped his lips as the impact of the fall throbbed his head. Daud hastily moved forward, not caring of his own injuries, he bent down to hurl his son in his arms.

"That's alright. You are fine." He rubbed Yousef's head but Yousef kept crying loudly. There were no tears seen. Daud impishly remarked, "I thought strong boys don't cry." The little boy was shocked by the impact and there was no harm done.

Immediately, the crying ceased. Yousef lifted his head from Daud's chest and peered at his father's face, "I am strong boy."

Daud went on with a feigned look, "Is that so? Someone was saying that he was superman," Daud's blue eyes glinting with mischief.

Nodding eagerly, Yousef exclaimed "I AM SUTHERMAN"

Daud chuckled, "Yes, my sutherman," he winked.

In the last weeks, as he lived with his son, every day was a new adventure for Daud. He learned small details of Yousef which he was never aware of such as how much the little boy liked superheroes or the fact he preferred eating pasta over rice. Then, there were days where Susan chased him around the apartment just so Yousef would sit and eat. And a very unique habit that surprised him, Yousef loved to play with someone's hair while going to sleep. He had experienced first-hand when Yousef had slept beside him. There had been one or two very strong tugs at his hair and he had winced sleepily.

Daud ruffled Yousef's brown hair, "No more crying now."

Just then, Susan rushed after hearing Yousef's wail. Now in annoyance, she folded her arms in front of her and chided the little boy, "Yousef how many times I have told you not to play with the ball. You will get hurt. There is not enough space for ball games."

Guiltily, Yousef buried his face in his father's chest, "You know Mommy is right," Daud said in a hushed tone.

Yousef pouted again, ready to start his wailing again. Daud calmed him down, "But I am sure Yousef will not play again here like this. Right Yousef?" Daud raised his hand for a hi-five.

Yousef clapped his father's hand with a wide grin, "Yah."

"Good." nodding in satisfaction, Susan added, "I will take you to the park when the weather is good."

"Mommy never takes me to the park." The little boy huffed in annoyance.

Susan's eyes widened at her son's antics.

Standing up from the floor slowly and vigilantly because of his injured leg and arm, he thought out loud, "What you need is a big backyard where you can run around and play all sorts of games."

And that was precisely what Daud had plan for.

But first, he had to get well enough to get back to work and make his plans into a reality.

****

Salman had heard of silent treatment was the worst kind of admonishment. As a child his parents had always scolded him or gave him time out. Never had he experienced the so-called 'silent treatment'. That is until now. The fragile relationship with his wife had taken a severe turn for the worse once again. At this moment in time, he preferred Nawal's bickering and jibes than her silence. It was killing him.