Chapter 9. - Love Potion and Jealousy

Sometimes the girl who has been there for everybody else needs someone to be there for her.

----------

WHEN WE GOT BACK to our dorm room in Auradon, it was already night. My outfit was back to normal, I figured I'd only get to wear my Hera Vestis when I went to the Underworld. We all sneaked out of our dorm and went to the kitchen. 

I was sitting back in a chair next to Evie and Mal, my feet kicked up on the table and ignoring the disapproving looks Evie kept shooting at me. We had almost all the ingredients for the love potion, all but one.

"All right. It says that we still need one tear and I never cry." Mal said. Well, I know that that's not true. I shot her a look and she quickly averted her eyes. I smirked.

"Let's just chop up some onions." Carlos proposed as he grabbed an onion from beside him.

"No. It says that we need a tear of human sadness. And this love potion gets the best reviews so, we need to follow it exactly." Mal countered. I clapped my hands together and pointed both index fingers at her, my hands still clasped together.

"Well, I can't help ya. I'm not exactly human," I told them, not wanting to be the one that had to cry.

"A tear's a tear," Jay said, annoyed that we were being difficult.

"That's not true, Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear." Evie said matter-of-factly. I gave her a big smile. I was happy that she showed how smart she really was for once. Being away from our parents for a while might not have been such a bad thing, I thought.

"Listen to you," Mal said with a smile and I grabbed her hand and gave it a quick squeeze.

"Yeah, I knew that," Jay muttered.

"Did not." Carlos teased. I put my feet back on the ground, much to the relief of Evie, and walked towards the boys. I leant my arm on Carlos' shoulder and gave Jay a taunting look.

"You really didn't, Jay." I teased as well.

"Yeah, I did." Jay lied. We were about to counter, but the door slammed open and the girl from our dorm earlier walked in. I had later learned that her name was Lonnie. My eyes darted to the spellbook and, luckily, so did Mal's as she quickly threw a napkin over the book. I sighed quietly in relief.

"There you are, Mal. I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair!" She said excitedly. Don't ask me why she was still looking for Mal in the middle of the night. Her gaze then fell on the bowl in Mal's hands. "Midnight snack, huh? What are you guys making?" She asked with a smile.

"Nothing special-" Mal said, but when she glanced at Evie, Lonnie dipped her finger in the bowl and tasted the batter.

"No! No! No!" We yelled but were too late.

"What? I'm not going to double-dip." She said confused. We all held our distance a little.

"Feel anything?" Evie asked anything.

"Yeah like it might be missing something?" Mal covered Evie's blunt question. Jay stepped closer to Lonnie and said 'hey' with a flirty smile. All he got was a weirded-out look from Lonnie, but she waved it off and walked towards the refrigerator. I chuckled and Jay elbowed me in the ribs. I stuck my tongue out in response.

"It could use some chips." She said. 

"Chips?" Jay wondered.

"And those are...?" Mal wondered, even though she didn't really care.