22 | ACT I, SCENE XXII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Yes," I nodded curtly, before turning around to issue my instructions with a brief flick of my fingers. "Tell Philip to round up our forces. We're going to Vertgate."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

TRISTAN

WE HAD A PLAN TO carry out.

Edwina wasn't going to believe me, our mental conversation had told me as much. I, for one, was not a fool. I wasn't going to sit and wait in a corner while others fell in danger.

The Lord commander of the Valmont army, Philip, was busy hovering over a map and shouting instructions to the men gathered in the courtyard. He saw me and immediately came over.

"When are we leaving for Vertgate, your Grace?" he asked.

"In a few minutes. I need to take care of a few things first," I bristled impatiently, waving Daniel over. He rushed to me with his arms full of battle plans.

"Tell Lord Valmont that he has command of Hartington Castle till I come back," I said firmly.

"Apollo...?" he stuttered. "You mean, your father? Apollo Valmont?"

"Yes," I said sarcastically, putting down the whetstone and sheathing my sword, Aetherius.

Aetherius was made of Ekrite, the same metal used to make chains which could strip gods of their powers. Ultimately, my sword was capable of much damage as well, and my fingers brushed over the well worn leather hilt before tucking it into my belt.

"TRISTAN!" came a shout from the gates, and before I knew it, someone had collided into me, hysterical and in shock.

"Llewellyn?" I hissed. "I asked you to shadow Verona and the Rotavelles and keep them away from Steffith! Why did you come back?" I reprimanded.

"Tristan... damn..." he panted, heaving, before pushing back his dark hair from his sweat slicked face. "They... they kept on jumping from one Kingdom to the next, Tristan. I tried to distract them but they were on their way to Steffith so I came back to inform you!"

"Damn it, Llewellyn," I swore, clenching my fists. "You had one job!"

Edwina was in Steffith! The Rotavelles would trick her into accompanying them to Emerick who would kill her, and she wouldn't refuse because they would threaten to hurt Verona! And most of all, they'd have reached her already - heck, they even would be talking to her right now!

And she refused to listen to me.

"What are we going to do, oh no..." Llewellyn was worriedly wringing his hands, shaking my shoulders as I drew myself up and my cloak whipped out from behind me.