Chapter Nine: The Impossible Planet

"Something wrong with the TARDIS?" Jessie asked the next morning, hearing the difference in the whining of the engines.

The Doctor frowned as they walked outside. "I think so. I don't know what's wrong, though. She's sort of . . . queasy. Indigestion. Like she doesn't want to land."

Jessie smiled. "Oh. If you think there's going to be trouble, we could . . . always get back inside and . . . go somewhere else?"

They looked at each other. Jessie was the first to burst into a peal of laughter, turning around and holding a hand over her mouth. The Doctor laughed along with her, both at the absurdity of the idea. Since the night before, both of them had begun to get on easier with each other, being closer to each other. Not to mention she felt completely rested. She looked around, seeing the pipes lining the walls. The Doctor looked around at the small space. "I think we've landed inside a cupboard," he commented, heading for a door. "Here we go!"

"Open Door 15," a voice announced as he opened it.

Jessie looked around as she stepped through the door, hearing engines. "Some sort of base," the Doctor decided, continuing to investigate. "Moon base. Sea base. Space base. They build these things out of kits."

The door behind them closed with "Close Door 15."

Jessie tilted her head, hearing rumbling from outside. "Well, I'm glad we're indoors. Sounds like a storm out there."

"Open Door 16."

The Doctor swung the next door open. "Human design. You've got a thing about kits." She snorted as they continued walking. "This place was put together like a flat pack wardrobe, only bigger. And easier."

"Oh, really?"

"Open Door 17."

Jessie raised an eyebrow as they entered what appeared to be a lounge area. "Room 3?" she guessed, seeing the large "3" on the wall.

"Oh, it's a sanctuary base!" the Doctor commented.

"Close Door 17."

"Deep Space exploration," the Doctor continued, when a few words caught Jessie's eye. Her head tilted as she examined them with a thoughtful expression. "We've gone way out. And listen to that, underneath. Someone's drilling."

"Welcome to hell," she read thoughtfully.

"Oh, it's not that bad."

She shook her head. "No. Over there."

The Doctor turned and saw the words, then went over to investigate the script underneath in vertical lines. "Hold on. What does that say?" He leaned in close, then shook his head. "That's weird. It won't translate."

Jessie frowned. "But I thought the TARDIS translated everything, even writing. Shouldn't we be seeing English?"

"Exactly. If that's not working, then it means this writing is old. Very old." He slowly stood. "Impossibly old." He looked around. "We should find out who's in charge." He headed for another door, spinning the wheel to open it. "We've gone beyond the reach of the TARDIS's knowledge. Not a good move. And if someone's lucky enough - "

"Open Door 19."

Jessie squeaked in shock and surprise when the door opened to reveal aliens with tentacles for noses and mouths crowding around, tubes connected to globes in their hands. "What the?!" she shrieked.

"Oh!" the Doctor commented, blinking and leaning back. "Right. Hello! Sorry. I was just saying, er . . . nice base!"

All of the aliens' bulbs lit up. "We must feed," they chorused.